Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
dflanagan

Mallard wings

I just got a few pairs of mallard wings and have had some trouble plucking the feathers. The wings are, obviously, stiff and folded. I'd like to make them more pliable. Anyone have any tips? Just a wash in warm water and a gentle detergent?

Sorry, bad description. I mean the wings are are in a closed position. Just normal position for the wing from a dead bird. What I'd like to do is get them to open up a bit more and make it a bit easier to get to the base of the quill without tearing up the feathers. Could be I'm overthinking it and just need to start pulling.

post-59660-0-96000200-1505576488_thumb.jpg

I wouldn't wash the wings. I don't know what exactly was done to dry and preserve the wings, but I wouldn't want to get the skin, and possibly muscle, under the feathers wet because then it might rot, smell or both. If you want to be able to flare the wing out you may need to cut or break the joint in the wing to be able to unfold it.

Flytire,

I've looked over that thread many times. Lots of good info. Post #10 is exactly how I prep my quills once I've gotten them off the wing. Makes life a lot easier.

Start pulling and stop overthinking smile.png

Yep, from both wings, start pulling and matching.

Got 'em started. Apparently, three of the four "matched" pairs I got weren't really matched. Just a right from this bird, a left from that one and they must have had 10 birds to take wings from. But they're working. In pretty decent shape. Got some broken quills because they were stuck so tight but they'll work until I can get some better pairs. Time for another order or a duck stamp so I can shoot my own.

Got 'em started. Apparently, three of the four "matched" pairs I got weren't really matched. Just a right from this bird, a left from that one and they must have had 10 birds to take wings from. But they're working. In pretty decent shape. Got some broken quills because they were stuck so tight but they'll work until I can get some better pairs. Time for another order or a duck stamp so I can shoot my own.

I've bought supposedly "matched" pairs and received two right wings. I wasn't happy.

The quills come out much more easily if you soak the wings in hot, soapy water for about 15 minutes before removing them. (Using pliers helps, too.) Rinse the rest of the wing and dry thoroughly. Every feather in the wing can be used -- the coverts made great soft hackles.