Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Materials Swap??

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 ksevigny

ksevigny

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 16 September 2017 - 08:16 PM

Would anyone be interested in a materials swap?? I participated in one last year and it was a lot of fun. I was able to get some new ideas and was able to add a bunch of things to the box that hopefully were useful for others.

#2 atxdiscgolfer

atxdiscgolfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,297 posts

Posted 16 September 2017 - 08:33 PM

How would this work - would we all just swap a material?

#3 flytire

flytire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,170 posts

Posted 17 September 2017 - 07:10 AM

ive been in one materials swap on the FAOL website many many years ago and to me it was just a way of getting rid of fly tying materials that you no longer wanted or were just crappy materials. by the time it got to me the contents were so bad that i just put in a few good items and sent the box along to the next swapper without taking anything out.

the swapmeister would populate a mailing box with 5 tying materials and send it off to the first swapper on the list. the first swapper would take out 3 items they wanted and replace with 3 more items. then the first swapper would send the box to the second swapper and the process repeats until the last swapper sends the box back to the swapmeister.

lets be clear. i'm not saying any swapper should be putting in a $90 neck or saddle but at least put in something decent.

Friday is my second favorite "f" word. Floccinaucinihilipilification is my first.

#4 vicrider

vicrider

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,259 posts

Posted 17 September 2017 - 09:17 AM

Okay, I understand flytire's point in a swap that worked like that. My thought was similar to a fly swap. No, I don't know how that would work. You explain what you're thinking about.

#5 agn54

agn54

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,367 posts

Posted 17 September 2017 - 09:21 AM

A while back we had a couple of material swap boxes going around on this site but the boxes eventually "disappeared". It was a cool idea because you could try new materials you otherwise wouldn't buy even if they weren't the highest quality. When I got it there was some decent stuff in there I was curious about. If one were to do it now though it would need to be better organized than the last one and there should be something like a minimum post count to participate.

#6 Flat Rock native

Flat Rock native

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,753 posts

Posted 17 September 2017 - 09:23 AM

Okay, I understand flytire's point in a swap that worked like that. My thought was similar to a fly swap. No, I don't know how that would work. You explain what you're thinking about.

First thought, an Altoid tin probably is not working for mailing this stuff to swap meister

Kenduardo's Lure & Fly

Buffalo, Wyoming

Established: Circa "Whenever you see anything I have, ... that you must buy!"

#7 vicrider

vicrider

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,259 posts

Posted 17 September 2017 - 09:24 AM

I hear ya' agn54. I know if it comes to me first and there's good quality materials in there it might get lost in shipping to the next player. :-)

#8 mvendon

mvendon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Posted 17 September 2017 - 10:37 AM

A while back we had a couple of material swap boxes going around on this site but the boxes eventually "disappeared". It was a cool idea because you could try new materials you otherwise wouldn't buy even if they weren't the highest quality. When I got it there was some decent stuff in there I was curious about. If one were to do it now though it would need to be better organized than the last one and there should be something like a minimum post count to participate.

This might have been one of them that was on here . Keep in mind that there aren't nearly as many folks that are on this site now that used to be when the last swap happened. Also - Postal rates have gone up quite a bit. 

Regards,

Mark

#9 EuroOrBust

EuroOrBust

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 17 September 2017 - 12:08 PM

I would be in for this, for sure

#10 chugbug27

chugbug27

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 17 September 2017 - 12:47 PM

How about just doing one specific type of material per swap, in good and only partly used condition, like rooster necks/saddles, hen necks/saddles, etc. or maybe 5 spools of something smaller like ultra wire or thread or Antron, hair, Flash, etc in different colors
cb27

#11 Camo Clad Warrior

Camo Clad Warrior

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 18 October 2017 - 05:25 PM

The other way you could do this would be each swapper stocks and envelope with say $20 worth of material. The swapmiester would verify contents and then randomly ship those envelopes to the swappers.

"Noone who does not know how to catch a fish should be able to disgrace it by catching it."

"Casting is an art that is performed on a 4 count rythm between 4 o'clock and 2 o'clock."

#12 Piker20

Piker20

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,929 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 02:05 AM

Camos idea would be workable. You have to be wary too of items crossing US/Canada/Euro borders as some stuff is likely/might to attract attention.
Matthew 25: 35-36 "Out of every 100 men, 10 shouldnt even be there, 80 are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior and he will bring the others back. "No man ever steps in the same river twice"   Heraclitus, 5 B.C

Based Scottish Highlands. UK

MUSTAD The wise anglers choice.

#13 Fisherboy0301

Fisherboy0301

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,358 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 07:35 AM

I'd be in for Camos Idea. Sadly, I think this would have to be a one country swap. As with the last materials swap (I read that entire thread and it was hectic!) customs is likely to take some things if we go international.
"Yesterday is history, Tomorrow is a mystery, but Today is a gift, thats why they call it the present." - Anonymous

"Snakes are first cowards, then bluffers, and last of all warriors." - Clifford Pope

"To him, all good things -trout as well as eternal salvation- come by grace, and grace comes by art, and art does not come easy." - Norman Maclean  "A River Runs Through It"                                                                            

#14 Fisherboy0301

Fisherboy0301

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,358 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 07:36 AM

Provide an envelope with the materials and a list (signed preferably) and then an envelope to send your new materials back in.
"Yesterday is history, Tomorrow is a mystery, but Today is a gift, thats why they call it the present." - Anonymous

"Snakes are first cowards, then bluffers, and last of all warriors." - Clifford Pope

"To him, all good things -trout as well as eternal salvation- come by grace, and grace comes by art, and art does not come easy." - Norman Maclean  "A River Runs Through It"                                                                            

#15 Bimini15

Bimini15

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 01:04 PM

Isn’t there a thing or two already where you send $20 and get a box of materials?
Bimini15