Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

9' 3wt shx build

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

100% Pure Au Sable River Rat

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,472 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 10:44 AM

Just finished this one up and about to ship out of the shop. Possibly the prettiest color combo together IMO. Classic twist red&black on a titanium color shx blank. I love this combo on a rod. Burl wood seat with a bit of mix cork and red accents in the grip and single turn metallic trim bands.
z5YBpy.jpg
iknHND.jpg
yj0B1N.jpg
7hE4F7.jpg
yT6MrJ.jpg
flDCVs.jpg

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doin, than a long life spent in a miserable way- Alan Watts

https://www.youtube....h?v=je3rQevW-cw

#2 Mlandry

Mlandry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 10:58 AM

That's a beauty without a doubt.

#3 islander727

islander727

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 801 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 04:32 PM

Nice!

#4 Bimini15

Bimini15

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,809 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 04:39 PM

Beautiful.
Bimini15

#5 Dave G.

Dave G.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,479 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 05:56 PM

Yes beautiful !

Steve, do you use any color preserver or coat straight up or use colorfast thread or what ? Your thread colors always just pop.

John 7:38 ESV  is about "Rivers of Living Water"

#6 cphubert

cphubert

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 06:03 PM

One of these days I have got to treat myself to one of your rods, beautiful work!

#7 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,472 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 07:30 PM

Thanks guys.

Dave normally 90% of the time I use nylon thread and no color preserver. On this one though I did use CP. Mainly I only use CP on the classic twist threads, because if you don't use it on classic twist then a lot of time it darkens so that you lose the contrast between the colors. So I use it on these to help keep the color contrast so it stands out better.

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doin, than a long life spent in a miserable way- Alan Watts

#8 mikechell

mikechell

Cold weather afficando- Give me Snow or give me death!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,387 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 08:48 PM

Yep ... that's a pretty color combo.

I can't go so far as to agree that it's "Possibly the prettiest color combo ...", but it's close.

Barbed hooks rule!

My definition of work: Doing something in which effort exceeds gain.

Ex-Marine ... quondam fidelis

#9 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,472 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 08:53 PM

Because it's not blue on blue right? lol

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

#10 mikechell

mikechell

Cold weather afficando- Give me Snow or give me death!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,387 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 09:07 PM

biggrin.png

Barbed hooks rule!

My definition of work: Doing something in which effort exceeds gain.

Ex-Marine ... quondam fidelis

#11 Dave G.

Dave G.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,479 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 08:02 AM

Thanks guys.

Dave normally 90% of the time I use nylon thread and no color preserver. On this one though I did use CP. Mainly I only use CP on the classic twist threads, because if you don't use it on classic twist then a lot of time it darkens so that you lose the contrast between the colors. So I use it on these to help keep the color contrast so it stands out better.

Thanks Steve. I get that darkening and lack of contrast if I don't use Colorfast or other pre treated thread. On normal nylon I can use two different shades of red for instance and it all looks maroon. Over in the rod building forum I asked maybe a year ago about using lacquer thinned way out as color preserver, if the epoxy would stick well after and got mixed answers, from I must be crazy to it will work fine LOL !. The lacquer doesn't blotch like color preserver can or less so at least and that is why I asked. I have since found out that some folks are using a water based polycryl on the wraps first as CP. But my same question goes unanswered , how will the epoxy finish stick to that, how well ?

That said, I think it's skin oil on the thread and not the preserver itself that causes the blotching.

#12 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,472 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 10:05 AM

I've actually always tried to avoid color preserver when I can for the most part. Not just because of blotching which does happen sometimes, but mainly just because I personally don't like the opaque look of wraps for most rods. The translucent look of nylon without CP just gives a deeper classy look to me. Never tried using anything like lacquer or any other products. I've tried a number of CP's over the years and one of the best ones I found was made by a guy named Mike and his CP was sold in a hex shaped glass jar. I can't remember for sure the name of it but I want to say it was called Color Guard or something of that nature.

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

#13 Dave G.

Dave G.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,479 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 11:00 AM

I have to agree that the translucent look and especially out in sunlight is very appealing.

#14 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,472 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 11:16 AM

Dave I found the link to that one CP I was talking about https://www.goldenwi...us-color-guard/

It's quite a bit more pricey than most others out there but if you use CP much grab a bottle of that stuff and try it I think you'll like it. By far the best one I have ever used to date.

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

#15 Dave G.

Dave G.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,479 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 02:40 PM

Dave I found the link to that one CP I was talking about https://www.goldenwi...us-color-guard/

It's quite a bit more pricey than most others out there but if you use CP much grab a bottle of that stuff and try it I think you'll like it. By far the best one I have ever used to date.

I'll think on this, I haven't used preserver as yet actually but have considered it. The color fast threads lack punch IMO. Thanks again !