Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

The River Runs Through It - 25 Years Later

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 SilverCreek

SilverCreek

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,030 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 07:27 AM

Read and enjoy.

https://www.moviemak...25-years-later/

36533166204_4806ff7788_z.jpg

Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

http://tinyurl.com/lgkbu7v

#2 SilverCreek

SilverCreek

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,030 posts

Posted 06 November 2017 - 09:35 AM

Robert Redford discusses the movie here: 

Remembering “The Movie” by Jason Borger 

http://www.flyfisher...uns-through-it/

I don’t know if any of you have seen the review of the “movie” below but I think this review and discussion hits the nail on the head. Fly Fishing as a metaphor for life.

Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

http://tinyurl.com/lgkbu7v

#3 Flat Rock native

Flat Rock native

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,737 posts

Posted 06 November 2017 - 11:06 AM

Thank you for posting

Kenduardo's Lure & Fly

Buffalo, Wyoming

Established: Circa "Whenever you see anything I have, ... that you must buy!"

#4 chugbug27

chugbug27

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 06 November 2017 - 12:55 PM

For anyone who wants another great sentimental fly fishing / river read, The Habit of Rivers by Leeson is phenomenal, a real fine writer. He's coauthor on the Benchside Reference, but his Habit of Rivers is high art, putting Leeson right up there with Maclean, a true national treasure.
cb27

#5 Poopdeck

Poopdeck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 997 posts

Posted 06 November 2017 - 07:15 PM

I tried watching it one time. Felt like the first 20 minutes took 25 years and turned it off before I started poking my eyes out. Never could understand how this movie became a flyfishing icon.

#6 flytire

flytire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,167 posts

Posted 06 November 2017 - 07:36 PM

that movie never did much for me

Friday is my second favorite "f" word. Floccinaucinihilipilification is my first.

#7 chugbug27

chugbug27

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 06 November 2017 - 07:46 PM

The book's great, even if you didn't like movie, takes you back in time a lot like To Kill a Mockingbird. But for a lot of people that kind of fiction's not their thing. Did either of you ever read Habit of Rivers? More a series of essays, nonfiction. I'd be interested in what you thought
cb27

#8 Poopdeck

Poopdeck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 997 posts

Posted 06 November 2017 - 08:58 PM

Not I. I'm not a fan of reading about fishing. I don't watch fishing shows, I don't read fishing magazines and I've never read a book about fishing. While I enjoy fishing and it's pretty much my only hobby I find it to be an exceptionally boring topic to read about or watch. I can talk about fishing all day and I think I've learned to fish by talking and listening to others. The worst for me is watching a video of someone fishing or, god forbid, drone fishing videos. They are about as interesting as watching wedding videos. Not sure what's wrong with me but I would rather fold laundry then watch or read about fishing. I'm pretty sure it goes back to my potty training days.

#9 rich mc

rich mc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 06 November 2017 - 09:38 PM

didnt like the movie except the last few minutes    rich mc

#10 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

100% Pure Au Sable River Rat

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,477 posts

Posted 06 November 2017 - 09:41 PM

I was gonna say "que the haters"...But seems I'm too late lol

Personally...I love the movie. I watch it at least twice per year, for the past 20+ yrs. IMO it sums up how most of us feel about life/fly fishing.

I have it on dvd,vhs, and even the "making of" dvd as well as the CD soundtrack, (go ahead an hate me ;)) ...my fav movie :)

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doin, than a long life spent in a miserable way- Alan Watts

https://www.youtube....h?v=je3rQevW-cw

#11 ben bell

ben bell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 11:47 AM

i never was a movie or TV fan..i spent my time making my own movies(memories).

#12 mikechell

mikechell

Cold weather afficando- Give me Snow or give me death!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,425 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 02:05 PM

I watched it once ... a long time ago.  I remember there was a lot "human interest"/"drama-tear jerker" aspects ...but I remember little of the fly fishing. 

But then, it's trout fishing, the religion of which a fail to understand.

I remember I didn't much care for it since it seemed to be more of a chick flick than I liked.

Sorry Steve ... Not truly a hater, just not an appreciater.  

PS ... no insult meant with the "chick flick" reference ... it's just what I remember of it.

Barbed hooks rule!

My definition of work: Doing something in which effort exceeds gain.

Ex-Marine ... quondam fidelis

#13 McGnat

McGnat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 03:32 PM

Some of you folks are too young to appreciate it, or just have no soul for the experience of life.

#14 Fisherboy0301

Fisherboy0301

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,357 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 09:48 AM

Seeing this post come back up the other day reminded me that I never finished the movie, so the other night I rented it on youtube and my girlfriend  and I watched it. I'm with Steve on this one. I love the movie. My senior quote is actually from it. I don't think it's that they're too young McGnat!!!

But I do agree I'd rather talk about fishing or read in an outdoor magazine than watch it on tv.

"Yesterday is history, Tomorrow is a mystery, but Today is a gift, thats why they call it the present." - Anonymous

"Snakes are first cowards, then bluffers, and last of all warriors." - Clifford Pope

"To him, all good things -trout as well as eternal salvation- come by grace, and grace comes by art, and art does not come easy." - Norman Maclean  "A River Runs Through It"                                                                            

#15 tjm

tjm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 10 November 2017 - 09:34 PM

that movie never did much for me

X2

Didn't care for  the book either, but book was better than the film as usual.  I did not relate either to fly fishing in any way.

I thought the other two parts of the book better reading. parts having to do logging and his work for the Forest Service as a teenager.