Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
SBPatt

Cul de Oie

I have never seen it offered anywhere online but if you're a hunter it should darn well be worth a try. Close family relation I'd imagine some of their pruning requirements are similar.

I have a friend who is a duck/goose hunter, I have tried goose and duck CDC, goose CDC is pretty much the same as duck and the goose feathers are slightly larger in overall size

Rodney

Goose works great. Been using for about a decade. Salvaged some from a buddy's hunting adventures. 2-3 birds worth will yield a lot of feathers. What I ended up with was from Canadian Goose. The large CDC is about 1/2" longer than duck and the puffs are about 1/4" longer. They are lighter in color that a lot of the duck with slightly whitish tips on some, about the equivellant of light dun. It seems to Dye ok the couple times I tried that. You can also use a tube and tie about 6 feathers pointed toward fly to make a less obnoxious than orange foam indicator that lands lightly on the water for lighter nymphs and such, FWIW.

Most preen gland feathers are usable, the ones I'd like to get my hands on are swan. Pure white, and much larger.

Cheers,

C.

Most preen gland feathers are usable, the ones I'd like to get my hands on are swan. Pure white, and much larger.

Cheers,

C.

Not a bird you'll find many volunteers queuing up to pluck a few from.

I was offered some years ago by Steve Cooper, still waiting for them. He gets to go through the casualties as a sanctuary, They are beyond objecting when he gets there.

Cheers,

C.

I was offered some years ago by Steve Cooper, still waiting for them. He gets to go through the casualties as a sanctuary, They are beyond objecting when he gets there.

Cheers,

C.

Haha, i was going to suggest befriending a rescue centre but thought it too far fetched. Trust Mr Cookshill to track down a way to source it if its fured or feathered.

In Ashland WI years ago they had a problem with some immigrants thinking the local swans were there for their snaring and dinner. Would love to have gotten one of those pelts complete. As for bigger feathers, if we're strictly talking CDC OTC than the Mark Pettijean (sp) has the biggest, longest barbules feathers I have gotten anywhere. Personally, Hareline and Trout Hunter have sent me a few disappointments lately but then I should have known better than to order packaged grouse feathers. Ordered them because they were dyed. Otherwise I have whole skins to pick from.