Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Brittle feathers

Questio

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Mainard

Mainard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 05 October 2017 - 09:40 PM

I purchased a couple Pheasant tail feathers that had been dyed olive. They look great but are brittle . I tried using them on baptism nymphs and when I start to wrap the fibers around the hook some break. Can I soak them in water to bring back or pass them thru steam or any ideas . Thanks

#2 Mainard

Mainard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 05 October 2017 - 09:41 PM

That was supposed to be bead head Pheasant tail nymphs . Sorry

#3 Dave G.

Dave G.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,479 posts

Posted 06 October 2017 - 08:11 AM

Steam should work. If you use a tea kettle don't get the feather too close to the source of the steam coming out but further up the stream of steam where it is white. In close to the spout is too hot and also not wet enough. You can use a pot too, just make sure plenty of steam is present. Lets put it this way, it's worth a try and I think you will succeed, how long the feather stays reconditioned so to speak is up in the air..

John 7:38 ESV  is about "Rivers of Living Water"

#4 Mainard

Mainard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 06 October 2017 - 09:56 AM

Ok thanks that's what I wil try.