Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Carrie Stevens style

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#31 Noahguide

Noahguide

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 23 October 2017 - 08:44 PM

Fshng2, a question. My current wing profile is about 2 1/4in. The largo hooks are just under 2in. Should I keep the same length when I go to a 3xl? Or size down? Photo shows a largo in 2xl sz 1, pan fish wire in sz2 std, and sz 6 in 3xl.

Attached Files

#32 fshng2

fshng2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 24 October 2017 - 12:44 AM

I would use the hook length as a reference and make the finished length a little longer than the hook itself.
The length of 1/4" past the hook bend is not excessive and will most likely catch fish that are nippers.
I am not familiar with the habits of reds or specs whether nipping is a problem.
For fresh water trout I like to keep the streamer tails to no more than 1/4" for trout that are nippers.
In my opinion Carries streamer tails are too long for trout but are fine for fish like bass and striper.

FWIW As far as length I have noticed the streamers Carrie tied are about 20 to 30% longer than the hook.

#33 Dave G.

Dave G.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,479 posts

Posted 24 October 2017 - 05:50 AM

Noahguide if you plan on fishing these, 2xl or 3xl are better. Although 6xl is true to the original style tying, the longer hook gives the fish a mechanical advantage to spit the hook.
To get a longer profile fly with a better fish holding advantage; a tube fly makes more sense.

Noahguide if you plan on fishing these, 2xl or 3xl are better. Although 6xl is true to the original style tying, the longer hook gives the fish a mechanical advantage to spit the hook.
To get a longer profile fly with a better fish holding advantage; a tube fly makes more sense.

Fshng2, thanks for the insight. I have some 3xl in 6 and 8 that I'll try. Also thinking about some non-heritage saltwater featherwings for red fish and speckled trout. Tube flies? That would make featherwings a gateway drug!

Tubeflies tied in Carrie's style, fish awesome ! I do both Gray and Green Ghosts tied on tubes and fish them with either #4 or #6 1x straight eye short dry fly-wet fly- egg hooks. LL salmon are generally hooked around the mouth someplace ( lip, side of jaw,corner of the mouth) then the fly slides up the leader and doesn't get torn up as quickly. It's the same regardless of fly length. A classic fly traditionalist won't care for the looks of them most likely but they sure fish nice.

John 7:38 ESV  is about "Rivers of Living Water"

#34 fshng2

fshng2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 24 October 2017 - 11:01 AM

Dave G.
Tube flies tied in Carrie's style, fish awesome ! I do both Gray and Green Ghosts tied on tubes and fish them with either #4 or #6 1x straight eye short dry fly-wet fly- egg hooks. A classic fly traditionalist won't care for the looks of them most likely but they sure fish nice.

Dave post some pictures of your Ghosts, I'd love to see them.
I am new to the tube world with much to learn.

"Fly tying is a school from which no one ever graduates."  Poul Jorgenson

#35 Dave G.

Dave G.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,479 posts

Posted 24 October 2017 - 02:36 PM

Dave G.
Tube flies tied in Carrie's style, fish awesome ! I do both Gray and Green Ghosts tied on tubes and fish them with either #4 or #6 1x straight eye short dry fly-wet fly- egg hooks. A classic fly traditionalist won't care for the looks of them most likely but they sure fish nice.

Dave post some pictures of your Ghosts, I'd love to see them.
I am new to the tube world with much to learn.

"Fly tying is a school from which no one ever graduates."  Poul Jorgenson

It's on my list of things to get done this fall, to photograph some tube flies and size them to post. I've been messed up on posting fly photos since I dumped my photo hosing site where they sized automatically for screen viewing. But I need to do it, several people have asked now.

Have you started tying tubes yet and what system have you tried if so ?

#36 fshng2

fshng2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 24 October 2017 - 06:53 PM

Dave G.

I have just started tying tube flies and decided to keep it simple so I am using the poly tube/ junction tube method.

Lead is wrapped around front of the tube if needed.

I just started a new topic "Show Us Your Tube Flies" on The Fly Tying Bench Forum.

As far as easy to post pictures check out the IMGUR site, you can post two sizes large or medium for free.

Now their is no reason for you to not post your tube flies.

#37 Dave G.

Dave G.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,479 posts

Posted 24 October 2017 - 07:38 PM

Dave G.

I have just started tying tube flies and decided to keep it simple so I am using the poly tube/ junction tube method.

Lead is wrapped around front of the tube if needed.

I just started a new topic "Show Us Your Tube Flies" on The Fly Tying Bench Forum.

As far as easy to post pictures check out the IMGUR site, you can post two sizes large or medium for free.

Now their is no reason for you to not post your tube flies.

There isn't any reason anyway, but lazy LOL !! Well been busy this fall too.

Polytubes are good.. I never used it on my HMH adapter though but I have some now since getting the vise. Also metal tubes.

#38 Noahguide

Noahguide

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 26 October 2017 - 07:30 PM

Featherwing tube fly.

Attached Files

#39 Noahguide

Noahguide

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 31 October 2017 - 05:39 AM

Two more.

Attached Files

#40 Noahguide

Noahguide

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 09:36 PM

Tied for and given to the participant I was paired with at Casting Carolina's retreat in Georgetown SC today.

Attached Files