Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Grass carp?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 denduke

denduke

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 560 posts

Posted 21 October 2017 - 09:14 PM

Need good pattern for state lake full of'em for moss control. Hung one on chironmid and fought one got off that actually smacked my foam frog but that was the exception. They will come up behind a bream popper but won't finish... maybe make a foam fly to look like a blade of grass? Gobs of them and lotta moss fragments floating around fouling fly. Any suggestions?
If you wanta sing the blues, you gotta pay your dues, and you know it don't come easy...RS
Due to severe budget cuts and economic down turn the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off...

#2 Fisherboy0301

Fisherboy0301

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 21 October 2017 - 10:10 PM

Take some dog food with you. They love sipping it off the surface. I took a little block of 2mm brown foam that I had Superglued together and trimmed it to the size/shape of a piece of dog food. Heat a bodkin, poke a hole, and push it onto a hook and glue in place. I caught a monster that way.

Alternately, small nymphs, insects like small hoppers or beetle. Maybe ants.

Chum with bread and use a white deer hair fly, maybe drop a white Marabou streamer off the back to act like sinking bread.
"Yesterday is history, Tomorrow is a mystery, but Today is a gift, thats why they call it the present." - Anonymous

"Snakes are first cowards, then bluffers, and last of all warriors." - Clifford Pope

"To him, all good things -trout as well as eternal salvation- come by grace, and grace comes by art, and art does not come easy." - Norman Maclean  "A River Runs Through It"                                                                            

#3 denduke

denduke

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 560 posts

Posted 22 October 2017 - 06:52 AM

Thanks for the ideas.
If you wanta sing the blues, you gotta pay your dues, and you know it don't come easy...RS
Due to severe budget cuts and economic down turn the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off...

#4 Bimini15

Bimini15

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,810 posts

Posted 22 October 2017 - 07:51 AM

I have never practiced bait and switch, but people around here do throw bread and attract big’uns with it.
And those light colored mop flies look just like a bit of bread dough...
Must.resist.the.urge...
Bimini15

#5 Mike West

Mike West

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 721 posts

Posted 22 October 2017 - 09:32 AM

http://www.flytyingf...l=&fromsearch=1

#6 ben bell

ben bell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 22 October 2017 - 06:06 PM

another thing about mop-flies, i bet they hold scent very well..put a drop of Dr. whatever on it and hang on..

#7 FlatsRoamer

FlatsRoamer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,482 posts

Posted 22 October 2017 - 06:14 PM

Just wrap the fluffiest piece of olive marabou you can find on a size 10-6 hook. The uglier the better...

Good luck, remember that they can be extremely finicky so try not to get too frustrated!

Still hunting for my first tarpon on fly! 

Why are windknots in love with me?

Can't wait for that diy trip to Acklins!!

Find my youtube channel in the link below

https://www.youtube....plkVnmuDObYCLBg