Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

8'6" 5wt 2pc

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

100% Pure Au Sable River Rat

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,477 posts

Posted 23 October 2017 - 12:22 PM

8H3TQs.jpg
IcBqiH.jpg
8IWz3a.jpg
MzOgQr.jpg

This one is for a returning customer. His rods in the past have been blue and a bit more flashy but this one he wanted a bit different than the others I have done for him so he gave me free reign on design. So I keep this one more on the subtle/classy side for him. Window style reel seat custom grip, garnet wraps with gold trim.

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doin, than a long life spent in a miserable way- Alan Watts

https://www.youtube....h?v=je3rQevW-cw

#2 Dave G.

Dave G.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,479 posts

Posted 23 October 2017 - 03:24 PM

Nice !

John 7:38 ESV  is about "Rivers of Living Water"

#3 mikechell

mikechell

Cold weather afficando- Give me Snow or give me death!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,433 posts

Posted 23 October 2017 - 03:31 PM

His previous ones were blue ... and you did one for him in red?

I hope he likes it !!!

It's a nice looking rod, just the wrong color.  

Barbed hooks rule!

My definition of work: Doing something in which effort exceeds gain.

Ex-Marine ... quondam fidelis

#4 Fisherboy0301

Fisherboy0301

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,358 posts

Posted 23 October 2017 - 03:33 PM

Beautiful!!! You know I love garnet and gold so any rod with those wraps is a beauty to me!

Go Noles!
"Yesterday is history, Tomorrow is a mystery, but Today is a gift, thats why they call it the present." - Anonymous

"Snakes are first cowards, then bluffers, and last of all warriors." - Clifford Pope

"To him, all good things -trout as well as eternal salvation- come by grace, and grace comes by art, and art does not come easy." - Norman Maclean  "A River Runs Through It"                                                                            

#5 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,477 posts

Posted 23 October 2017 - 03:34 PM

LOL Mike I wanna see a pic of your house, I bet it's BLUE ;)

Yep he didn't want this one blue, he's got 4-5 other rods from me that are all blue so he wanted something different this time.

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doin, than a long life spent in a miserable way- Alan Watts

#6 Bimini15

Bimini15

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 23 October 2017 - 04:24 PM

Now you are touching close to home.
My everyday stick for some time now is also a 8’6” 5wt that I built myself and never really finished.
This is a beauty.
Bimini15

#7 mikechell

mikechell

Cold weather afficando- Give me Snow or give me death!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,433 posts

Posted 23 October 2017 - 04:30 PM

Attached File  house.jpg   99.42KB   1 downloads

Yep ... blue house. 

Barbed hooks rule!

My definition of work: Doing something in which effort exceeds gain.

Ex-Marine ... quondam fidelis

#8 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,477 posts

Posted 23 October 2017 - 04:48 PM

LOL!!biggrin.pngbiggrin.png

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

#9 ben bell

ben bell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 23 October 2017 - 05:56 PM

hi Steve..nice work..looks like minama guides are really catching on..those look like #6? i have yet to try them..some say they are a little noisy..how do you like them?

#10 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,477 posts

Posted 24 October 2017 - 12:11 PM

I usually do a couple #6 and then the rest #5's on these guides. There's no noise at all with minimas. Only guides I have ever heard a noise from were the Recoil guides but after using those once I never used them again just for that reason. I started using minimas probably 7-8 yrs or so ago and use them on 90% of my rods under 8wt size. Funny thing is back when I started using them hardly anyone was using them on fly rods, now I see people all over using them so they caught on pretty big it seems.

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

#11 ben bell

ben bell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 24 October 2017 - 01:02 PM

ok..that,s right it was recoils, thanks..yes, it seems like all of a sudden rod builders were using minamas..anything is better than snakes just to eliminate one wrap.lol. sounds good..i will give them a try..thanks

#12 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,477 posts

Posted 24 October 2017 - 02:01 PM

I use them not because of less wraps, but because they eliminate line slap. With a snake guide the line runs through the guide and bounces against the blank multiple times on the cast causing some friction. But with minimas the line is completely captured by the ring of the guide so line slap is not an issue at all.

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

#13 ben bell

ben bell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 24 October 2017 - 03:42 PM

good point about line slap, especially wet line..you mentioned using minamas for #8 only lines or less, what guide style do you like for larger lines?.Thanks..

#14 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,477 posts

Posted 24 October 2017 - 04:05 PM

I normally go with the standard snake guides on most 8wt and above. While I have never had a minima/single foot guide pull out on me, I just avoid any possible issues on the heavier rods by going with snakes.

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

#15 ben bell

ben bell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 24 October 2017 - 04:53 PM

Good stuff, thanks Steve.