Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Thompson vise and base

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

100% Pure Au Sable River Rat

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,053 posts

Posted 23 October 2017 - 02:49 PM

QfUMfX.jpg

Came across this old Thompson vise and pedestal base that I forgot I even had. I've been using mt Renzetti for the past 20 yrs and forgot I even had this one tucked away. The base is a nice 3 1/2lb base. I haven't kept up on prices for vises for years. What would you guys say is a good price to stick on this? I'm gonna stick it on ebay but had no clue what these are going for right now and the current ones in ebay are clamp mount only so didn't find much to compare it too.

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doin, than a long life spent in a miserable way- Alan Watts

https://www.youtube....h?v=je3rQevW-cw

#2 Gene L

Gene L

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,112 posts

Posted 23 October 2017 - 04:49 PM

I'm not sure the base is organic to the vise.  I don't recall Thompson making a pedestal base, but I could be wrong.

Check on ebay for what they're selling for.  They're not especially high; $30 or so for one in really good shape and marked.

#3 Bugsy

Bugsy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 744 posts

Posted 23 October 2017 - 05:00 PM

Gene, Thompson did mate a pedestal with the model A in later years,..marketed as the Pro II.

Steves vise appears to be the Ultra, though the upright is straight where mine and others Ive seen have a bend. The base is likely a Griffin pedestal.

For BIN pricing, Id say $25 to 35 shipped is realistic. Could possibly do better as an auction.

#4 flytire

flytire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,983 posts

Posted 23 October 2017 - 07:42 PM

give it away to a beginner tyer

Ignorance can be educated....

Crazy can be medicated....

But there's no cure for stupid

#5 utyer

utyer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,166 posts

Posted 24 October 2017 - 07:41 AM

I passed both my Thompson vises on to my niece and nephew. One of those was a Pro model with a pedestal base.   I have come across a few other, all of which I gave to beginning tiers, or scout groups who wanted them.  Nothing wrong with an OLD Thompson, I would bet they will outlast the new ones made over the pond.  I would say 25 to 30 on Ebay would be fair price.

"We have met the ememy, and he is us." Pogo by Walt Kelly

#6 SILKHDH

SILKHDH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 689 posts

Posted 24 October 2017 - 08:06 AM

LOL.. gave my vise and a bunch of misc. materials to a kid that was on here.  He wanted to impress the tiers on here so bad , he was using other people's pictures of flies and calling them his. That's how bad he wanted to fit in here.. Any one remember that.?  LOL.. Last time I checked, He was selling flies "HE TIED" on a little site he made. Pretty cool I think.

#7 mikechell

mikechell

Cold weather afficando- Give me Snow or give me death!

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,780 posts

Posted 24 October 2017 - 08:29 AM

"Donating" to a new tier is not always so "successful", Silk.  We've also had people give stuff away, only to never hear from that person again.

And it's also not necessarily a good thing to "donate".  I know I can use whatever money I can make.  I don't have two jobs, or a huge savings, so selling items I'm done with helps finance buying the upgrade or replacement.  Money's too tight, these days, to be overly altruistic.

A good cause, absolutely.  A stranger who "needs" a hobby, not so much.

Barbed hooks rule!
My definition of work: Doing something in which effort exceeds gain.
Ex-Marine ... quondam fidelis

#8 Gene L

Gene L

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,112 posts

Posted 24 October 2017 - 08:54 AM

I've given stuff away and never heard back from the giftee.  So what?  I feel I got rid of an unwanted object and maybe someone will use it.  Giving something away shouldn't require something in return.

As for selling stuff for the slight amount of money to be realized, I seriously doubt $30 is going to break anyone's bank.

The way the vise is attached to the stem doesn't look like a Thompson, but it's been a long time since I've seen one.

#9 Mogup

Mogup

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 694 posts

Posted 24 October 2017 - 09:04 AM

Sorry I don't think it will fetch more than 25.00 if that. I'd throw it in my traveling tying box and use it to instruct,loan or give away.

#10 Bryon Anderson

Bryon Anderson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,760 posts

Posted 24 October 2017 - 09:13 AM

I've given stuff away and never heard back from the giftee.  So what?  I feel I got rid of an unwanted object and maybe someone will use it.  Giving something away shouldn't require something in return.

It is always nice if those who benefit from others' generosity have the decency and sufficient social skills to at least say a simple "thank you" to their benefactors; however, that being said, I tend to agree with Gene on this. If I give something away to someone who doesn't seem grateful for it (or, at the very least, for the gesture), I might not choose that person the next time I donate, but it wouldn't put me off of donating all together.

Steeldrifter, I would agree that $30-35 shipped is probably a reasonable asking price for your Thompson vise.

"... trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience." -- John Voelker (aka Robert Traver), Testament of a Fisherman

#11 mikechell

mikechell

Cold weather afficando- Give me Snow or give me death!

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,780 posts

Posted 24 October 2017 - 11:26 AM

Giving something away shouldn't require something in return.

I seriously doubt $30 is going to break anyone's bank.

If I give something away to someone who doesn't seem grateful for it (or, at the very least, for the gesture), I might not choose that person the next time I donate, but it wouldn't put me off of donating all together.

If $30.00 doesn't "break your bank" ... then consider yourself among the lucky ones.

Donations are made to benefit ones who are in a situation where $30.00 is the bank ... period.  And I do that when I have the means.  

Gifting my stuff to someone who's just looking for another hobby ... THAT is not a "donation".  It's a gift, and a gift ABSOLUTELY requires something in return.  At the very least, a "thank you" or, in the case of a site like this, pictures of the gift and/or the results.

I don't feel that a "gift" is just another way of throwing away my old junk.

Okay ... sorry to hijack your thread, Steve.  I'm stepping down off my soapbox.  No more from me on this subject.

Barbed hooks rule!
My definition of work: Doing something in which effort exceeds gain.
Ex-Marine ... quondam fidelis

#12 Bimini15

Bimini15

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,311 posts

Posted 24 October 2017 - 11:51 AM

So, to recap:

1- Nice little vise that still has a following
2- $20-30 seems fair to most
3- Different people feel differently about gifts and donations.
4- Mikechell is having a bad day

Did I miss something... :)
Bimini15

#13 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

100% Pure Au Sable River Rat

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,053 posts

Posted 24 October 2017 - 12:03 PM

Good Lord people I was not asking about the benefits of donating things, I was asking what this vise was worth. I believe I have given/donated/helped out much more than my fair share of new fly anglers/tiers over the years so I think I'm okay to sell a few odds and ends I came across while cleaning the shop to help put a little cash in the Christmas fund towards the Niece & Nephews gifts this year.

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doin, than a long life spent in a miserable way- Alan Watts

https://www.youtube....h?v=je3rQevW-cw

#14 Dave G.

Dave G.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,730 posts

Posted 24 October 2017 - 05:03 PM

Good Lord people I was not asking about the benefits of donating things, I was asking what this vise was worth. I believe I have given/donated/helped out much more than my fair share of new fly anglers/tiers over the years so I think I'm okay to sell a few odds and ends I came across while cleaning the shop to help put a little cash in the Christmas fund towards the Niece & Nephews gifts this year.

I think $25 Steve.

John 7:38 ESV  is about "Rivers of Living Water"