Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Show Us Your Tube Flies

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 fshng2

fshng2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 927 posts

Posted 24 October 2017 - 06:43 PM

The goal for this topic is to share what we know and have discovered about tube flies.
A place where we can learn to use the basic components, techniques, and materials.
To rig a tube fly, simply thread the tippet through the tube, then tie it to your hook of choice.
Snug the hook eye into the rear of the tube, and you're ready to catch fish.

Advantages
  • Endless hook options (primarily short shank) fresh, saltwater, single, double, treble with fine, standard or extra strong wire diameters.
  • Less hook leverage with shorter shank hooks when fighting fish.
  • Fly slides up leader during the fight...away from sharp teeth, so your flies last longer!
  • Broken or dull hooks are easily replaced to continue fishing the same fly
  • Use metal tube bodies, cones, beads, or simply wrap lead/tungsten to adjust sink rates of flies.
  • Tube flies can be all inclusive, or they can be made in separate sections so they can be stacked to build the finished fly.
  • Fly sections are heads and bodies which are different colors and weights. To build a longer fly add two bodies.

"Fly tying is a school from which no one ever graduates."  Poul Jorgenson

BwN5XVH.jpg

Bait Hook: Owner SSW 2/0
Body: BT and pearl Ez-body
Gill: Red yarn
Eye: Flat Prismatic
UV Resin: Solarez Thin
Tube: 1/8" polytube & 3/16" hook holder tubing
2017-10-25 16.12.16.jpg

#2 Noahguide

Noahguide

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 24 October 2017 - 08:16 PM

Very early attempt. Bucktail wings over wrapped tinsel body with uv head. Tube is a plastic q-tip body with the cotton ends cut off.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20171024_204200.jpeg

#3 fshng2

fshng2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 927 posts

Posted 24 October 2017 - 10:48 PM

Very early attempt. Bucktail wings over wrapped tinsel body with uv head.
Tube is a plastic q-tip body with the cotton ends cut off.

Wow I just mentioned tube fly to you yesterday.
Very impressive work.
You are like MacGyver and quick too!

(For those not familiar with MacGyver it was a tv series about this guy.
He is highly intelligent and incredibly resourceful and able to make things from his surroundings to get out of impending situations.
It aired 1985 to 1992.)

#4 chugbug27

chugbug27

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 795 posts

Posted 24 October 2017 - 10:56 PM

McFlyver
cb27

#5 eastern fly

eastern fly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,904 posts

Posted 25 October 2017 - 04:43 AM

I love tube flies. 

Kevin

16177757_1884823108470196_4641168687954465326_o.jpg

My olive tube.jpg

My pike trout tube.jpg

https://www.instagram.com/eastern.fly/

A Pitt fan, a Marshall fan, and a WVU fan are climbing a mountain and arguing about who loves their team most. The Marshall fan insists that he is most loyal and then yells,"This is for Marshall!" and jumps off the mountain. Not to be out done,The WVU fan next professes his love for his team. He screams,"This is for the Mountaineers!" and pushes the Pitt fan off the mountain.

Anyone can be a father. It takes a man to be a Dad! Kiss your kids today.

#6 mikechell

mikechell

Cold weather afficando- Give me Snow or give me death!

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,341 posts

Posted 25 October 2017 - 05:35 AM

(For those not familiar with MacGyver it was a tv series about this guy.

He is highly intelligent and incredibly resourceful and able to make things from his surroundings to get out of impending situations.
It aired 1985 to 1992.)

The new "MacGyver" series ... running now on CBS ... is MUCH better than the original.

Barbed hooks rule!
My definition of work: Doing something in which effort exceeds gain.
Ex-Marine ... quondam fidelis

#7 Noahguide

Noahguide

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 25 October 2017 - 05:36 AM

[quote name="fshng2" post="708679" timestamp="1508903290"][quote name="Noahguide" post="708670" timestamp="1508894176"]
Very early attempt. Bucktail wings over wrapped tinsel body with uv head.
Tube is a plastic q-tip body with the cotton ends cut off.[/quote]
Wow I just mentioned tube fly to you yesterday.
Very impressive work.
You are like MacGyver and quick too!

McFlyver

Thanks, you both are kind. I guess McFlyver is cooler than Dollar Store Dave!
The Q-tip is not an original idea, read about it somewhere. Experimenting with inner and outer sleeves from coffee stirrers and drinking straws. My issue is getting a hook to seat snuggly at the rear of the fly. I plan on trying shrink wrap to see if that works. I'm headed north to the gunpowder and Lefty Kreh trail this week. Hope to have time to tie and try more variants.
Gorgeous flies Eastern Fly.

#8 Dave G.

Dave G.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts

Posted 25 October 2017 - 06:32 AM

My issue is getting a hook to seat snuggly at the rear of the fly.

Junction tubes get the hook to seat well. You might check in a hobby store for model airplane fuel line, just a thought. I personally use both HMH junction tube but also have some Pro Tube pre cut junction tubes. Course if you use large enough Poly Tubing the hook eye then fits right in the end without junction tube.

John 7:38 ESV  is about "Rivers of Living Water"

#9 petelangevin

petelangevin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 25 October 2017 - 06:41 AM

I have had my hmh tool forever, back when it was Kennebec River Bait and Tackle. Not done many over the years but may throw it in the vise. I have access to soft tubing to tie on. Your tubes all look great

#10 Swamp Fly

Swamp Fly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 25 October 2017 - 08:10 AM

The Q-tip is not an original idea, read about it somewhere. Experimenting with inner and outer sleeves from coffee stirrers and drinking straws. My issue is getting a hook to seat snuggly at the rear of the fly. I plan on trying shrink wrap to see if that works. I'm headed north to the gunpowder and Lefty Kreh trail this week. Hope to have time to tie and try more variants.
Gorgeous flies Eastern Fly.

I've been experimenting with Q-tips tubes for a while as well.  I've found that some silicon fuel lines for RC engines work well as junction tubes.  The problem is that every time I fine some that works really well I will have already forgotten the brand and ID by the time I have a chance to play with it.  Luckily the stuff is not that pricey and buying a foot of the most likely sizes doesn't break the bank and a foot of the stuff lasts me a year or two.  I really think that tarpon tube flys have a real future, I've been halfheartedly messing those for a few years. I really like the idea of being able to tie on a "fresh" hook.

BTW a variation of Flip Pallot's snake fly tied on a tube with a small bass worm hook is stellar when ripped through spatterdock or lilly pads.  I tie it up in all black with some flash.  Bass just want to kill it.  The worm hook is pretty weedless when used like this, even more so with a simple post mono weed guard.  Throw it into heavy cover and when it is about to hit a pocket of "open water" just jiggle the fly without moving it for a few seconds before stripping it across the open water like it's trying to get to the other side and get away. Not recommended for folks with heart issues....

#11 Swamp Fly

Swamp Fly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 25 October 2017 - 08:14 AM

Junction tubes get the hook to seat well. You might check in a hobby store for model airplane fuel line, just a thought. I personally use both HMH junction tube but also have some Pro Tube pre cut junction tubes. Course if you use large enough Poly Tubing the hook eye then fits right in the end without junction tube.

Beat me to it on the fuel line... smile.png

#12 Rocco

Rocco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 25 October 2017 - 09:42 AM

The soft transparent tubes used in breathing assist canulas also work.  The thinnest fit inside the larger tube as the junction portion if you build tha up a bit with thread.

Rocco.   

#13 fshng2

fshng2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 927 posts

Posted 25 October 2017 - 03:09 PM

Eastern Fly nice tubes, does the disc on the first one cause the fly to wiggle?

Petelangevin...Thanks

Mikechell I was not aware of the new "MacGyver" series. Really like that show I will have to check it out.

#14 fshng2

fshng2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 927 posts

Posted 25 October 2017 - 03:23 PM

9Qa3xf6.jpg

Tube: 1/8" polytube & 3/16" hook holder tubing

Body: Silver Braid

Wing: Peacock/Crystal Flash/Marabou

Gill: Red hackle
Eye: 3D shaped to a curve & coated with Solarez thin

#15 petegray

petegray

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 25 October 2017 - 04:22 PM

welded wide body broad spectrum albino stimulator...

Attached Thumbnails

• fullsizeoutput_cb2.jpeg
  • fullsizeoutput_b99.jpeg

slightly handicapped moderately decorated military aviator veteran with issues...