Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

DIY Dubbing Brush?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Elder

Elder

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 02:35 PM

Have read some people use dubbing wax on the wire,

other head cement to help hold the material while spinning.

Any other ideas?  Thanks

#2 Bimini15

Bimini15

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,827 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 02:51 PM

Do those not work?
Bimini15

#3 mikechell

mikechell

Cold weather afficando- Give me Snow or give me death!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,437 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 04:11 PM

For a day or two, I was interested in dubbing brushes.  (The feeling quickly passed)

During that time, I was looking at YouTube videos for making them.

NONE of the videos show people putting anything on the wire.

I DO use dubbing loops a lot on my flies.  Putting the material in the thread loop, I don't use anything on there, either.  Never seem to have any problems with materials falling out.

Barbed hooks rule!

My definition of work: Doing something in which effort exceeds gain.

Ex-Marine ... quondam fidelis

#4 deaddrifter

deaddrifter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 04:15 PM

I do know a couple people that use dubbing wax but I've not really found it necessary.  I would not suggest head cement.  I would think that would result in a matted brush.  I've found the trick really is making sure you have a stable enough setup so the wire holds the materials well when you start spinning the wire.

#5 TheCream

TheCream

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,530 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 04:47 PM

I use brushes quite a bit.  Depending on the material(s) in the brush, I may or may not use wax.  If I am making a more complex brush with multiple materials, I am more likely to wax the wire.  

Mike, here's when dubbing brushes make sense (to me): doing lots of flies that require dubbing loops in a single sitting.  My most productive streamer this year I tie with a body of Ice Dub, either in a brush or dubbing loop.  Do I notice a difference in the durability, fishability, or appearance of loop vs brush?  No.  The difference is in speed.  I can do a dubbing brush on my table large enough to tie several of this pattern in just a few minutes.  It's really fast.  Then, when I go to tie a half dozen of them, I tie in the brush, wrap and go.  No creating dubbing loops, no prepping the material.  I'm absolutely not a speed tyer, but I saw the difference in tying a half dozen of these in maybe half an hour vs 45 minutes, that caught my attention.  The brush is very basic, very fast, very efficient. 

pdqRyBSl.jpg

#6 mikechell

mikechell

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,437 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 06:13 PM

Cream,

I understand the purpose and ease of dubbing brushes.  But the reasons I dropped the idea was this:

The largest fly I tie is on a size 4 hook.  And I don't tie many of those. 

For size 8 through 12, I figured the wire in a brush would add noticable weight.

Am I mistaken in these?

Barbed hooks rule!

#7 Elder

Elder

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 06:14 PM

Thanks to all

Mike SOME do.

#8 mikechell

mikechell

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,437 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 06:15 PM

Mike SOME do.

Oops.  I should rephrase to say, none did in the videos I watched.  tongue.png

Barbed hooks rule!

#9 xpman

xpman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 06:23 PM

I have used the turbo dubbing block for years, but now I don't commercial tie I rarely use it. Wire was slippery so I used head cement. Now a days I am back to dubbing loops and do not need anything other that the thread I use.

ron

#10 whatfly

whatfly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 995 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 08:06 PM

Yeah, I'm with Bimini, have you tried either of those techniques yet?  It might be helpful  to know why you ask.

Personally, I use wax for particularly slippery materials in dubbing loops when tying at the vise, but not when using a dubbing block because I have better control on a flat surface.  Quite useful at the vise for some materials.

#11 Poopdeck

Poopdeck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,000 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 09:15 PM

I like brushes. So much easier to tie large streamers with a brush. I don't put anything on the wire.

#12 TheCream

TheCream

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,530 posts

Posted 09 November 2017 - 07:48 AM

Cream,

I understand the purpose and ease of dubbing brushes.  But the reasons I dropped the idea was this:

The largest fly I tie is on a size 4 hook.  And I don't tie many of those. 

For size 8 through 12, I figured the wire in a brush would add noticable weight.

Am I mistaken in these?

It depends on the wire.  If you used a really heavy wire I could see that adding a touch of weight, but I use this stuff in the Medium size and it's extremely light: http://store.flyfish...-Wire-p/dbw.htm

Brushes definitely don't "fit" with every fly pattern but, when they do, they make life a lot easier.  I built my brush table for essentially under $15.  Scrap wood was used that we already had in my dad's workshop at the time was primarily used, I just had to buy a set of roller blade bearings to provide the smooth spinning "hub" on the spinning end.  I don't use brushes for all of my streamers, but when I do...crap that sounds like a Dos Equis commercial.  Stay tying, my friends. 

#13 RickZieger

RickZieger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 403 posts

Posted 09 November 2017 - 10:15 AM

I don't use anything on the wire when I make brushes.  I do find that if I turn the knob slowly for several turns the materials do not move.

Have not tried many slippery materials to make brushes.

Rick