Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Destin, FL and environs in December/January?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Bryon Anderson

Bryon Anderson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 09 November 2017 - 11:11 AM

I am looking at the possibility of spending a week or so in Florida sometime in December or January this year, in the panhandle/NW Florida region, probably around Destin or thereabouts. I would like to do some shallow water fishing for whatever is moving that time of year--redfish in particular are of interest to me, but, hey, it's fly fishing in the dead of winter, I'll fish for whatever they've got! :)

Any recommendations for guides/areas to fish/etc. would be most welcome. I don't really know Florida at all. I've got a brother-in-law who would likely be fishing with me, and he's a light-tackle guy not a fly angler, so a guide who could put both of us on fish with our preferred tackle would be ideal.

Thanks in advance for any ideas you guys might have...

"... trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience." -- John Voelker (aka Robert Traver), Testament of a Fisherman

#2 mikechell

mikechell

Cold weather afficando- Give me Snow or give me death!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,437 posts

Posted 09 November 2017 - 11:52 AM

I'm from Central Florida.  I don't go that far North.  Destin ... it gets cold there.  Why, I've heard they even get <shiver> FROST on the windshield sometimes !!!

Barbed hooks rule!

My definition of work: Doing something in which effort exceeds gain.

Ex-Marine ... quondam fidelis

#3 Bryon Anderson

Bryon Anderson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 09 November 2017 - 12:06 PM

I hear you, Mike -- North Florida was my mom's idea (this has been proposed as a family Christmas gathering). According to Weather Underground it only gets up into the 60's for the daytime highs in December and January in Destin. That would surely be relief from highs in the low teens and 20's that Michigan will be experiencing right around then, but still...I kind of think that, if we're going to "do" Florida, we should do South Florida and have the experience we're really chasing (sun, sand, fishing in shorts and t-shirts etc.), but everyone's planning to drive down, and when I suggest Ft. Myers or thereabouts, they all start pissing and moaning about the extra few hours in the car to get to South Florida. This might be why I don't make a habit of vacationing with my extended family. :)

"... trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience." -- John Voelker (aka Robert Traver), Testament of a Fisherman

#4 mikechell

mikechell

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,437 posts

Posted 09 November 2017 - 12:54 PM

LOL  I have a sister, Indiana resident.  They go to Destin every Winter.  They look with amusement at the Florida natives in there sweaters and jackets ... while they sit around in t-shirts.

60 degrees, as you say, will be a welcome relief from your frozen tundra temps ... but you'll want a wet suit or waders if you plan on doing any wade fishing.

Sorry I can't help with the fishing opportunities ... it's salt water.  That's about all I can tell you.

Barbed hooks rule!

#5 Kudu

Kudu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,152 posts

Posted 09 November 2017 - 03:08 PM

Www.shallowwaterexpeditions.com

#6 Capt Bob LeMay

Capt Bob LeMay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,216 posts

Posted 10 November 2017 - 05:04 AM

Don't let the "temps in the sixties" stuff fool you.  That time of year almost all of Florida will be getting cold front after cold front (and most of them will eventually make it all the way down to south Florida....).  It's not the cold that will mess up your fishing opportunities - it's the winds that come with each front (and the winds will shift direction as they come through, swinging around to the west then the northwest until finally settling down to just howling out of the north... That sort of stuff is why you'll find me deep in the backcountry then, hiding behind islands or heavy jungle shorelines...  In short, that's when coastal areas turn into milkshakes and make the surf less than attractive... If you can find places where you're going that give some wind shelter -you might find a fish or two...  Good luck, wish I had better news but I've done that Christmas panhandle family reunion stuff (and very carefully left my rods at home....).

Tight lines Bob LeMay (954) 435-5666

#7 Bryon Anderson

Bryon Anderson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 10 November 2017 - 10:25 AM

Good to know, Capt. Bob -- that's what I was afraid of. It actually looks like the trip is getting revised; one of my sisters can't swing the trip this year, so I'm pushing for Christmas 2018/January 2019 as far south as we can get.

#8 mikechell

mikechell

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,437 posts

Posted 10 November 2017 - 11:00 AM

If you want to make it to Deltona this Christmas, I'll take you out on the St. Johns River for a try at some Florida Sunfish and Bass !!!

Barbed hooks rule!

#9 Bryon Anderson

Bryon Anderson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 01:23 AM

I'd definitely take you up on that Mike if we end up in your area! I'm not sure what's going to happen at this point, if we'll even come down this year or not since one of my sisters has said she can't make a Florida trip at all this winter, but I surely appreciate the offer.