Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Comments on first effort at polish woven

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#16 Crackaig

Crackaig

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,191 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 12:22 PM

They are looking good, and I think you may have passed the point where this advice applies. For anyone who wants to learn how to do the shuttle weave my advice is do them in half dozens. There are really three stages to tying these - foundation (underbody, bead etc), weave, and finish (thorax, legs, hackles etc). If you tie up one fly, you learn things on the weave. Then you finish the fly, and prep the next one. That takes just long enough to forget what you learned on the weave. If you prep 6 to the point that they are ready to weave. You can weave all 6 one after another, taking only the time needed to secure the woven threads between them. This shortens the learning time drastically. 

Cheers,

C.

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical
minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which
holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd
by the clean end"

#17 RickZieger

RickZieger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 02:36 PM

With chenille or embroider floss I like knotted weaving better than the shuttle weave.

With the knotted weave if something breaks the fly stays together better for me.

With wire I do the shuttle weave.

My nickel on this subject.

Rick

#18 chugbug27

chugbug27

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 03:19 PM

@Rick
I tried to do a wire weave with no success... any tips? Here's the picture I was trying to imitate
(PS what's a knotted weave?)

Attached Files

cb27

#19 Noahguide

Noahguide

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 09:11 PM

Chugbug27,
Knotted weave http://www.flyangler...anced/part4.php
As far as the wire being open, I find the same on mine, but like the look when I have a suitable base thread color. Black under a brown and tan for instance. It gives a depth to the fly. You can also wrap holographic tinsel under your wire.

#20 Noahguide

Noahguide

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 09:20 PM

Here are two knotted flied with wire, same gap "issue". Only the fish will judge.

Attached Files

#21 Noahguide

Noahguide

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 09:25 PM

Same pattern knotted with floss.

Attached Files

#22 RickZieger

RickZieger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 10:57 AM

With the wire weave there will be some space between the wires.  I use colored tinsel as an under body

to cover the thread.   There are several different knotted weaves.

For wire I do it from the side.  Top color wire in the right hand and bottom color in the left hand.

Bring top color over hook shank. Then bottom color over the top color wire and under hook shank to other side.

Then take top color back over the hook shank, still in the right hand.

With left hand bring the bottom  color of wire over the top color of wire, under the hook shank and pull up.

Repeat these steps.

Rick

#23 chugbug27

chugbug27

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 11:54 AM

Thanks Noah & Rick, I'm liking the weave
cb27

#24 Bruce Derington

Bruce Derington

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,248 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 12:08 PM

A good under body is key to the weave's "look", a flat base helps separate top from bottom

#25 chugbug27

chugbug27

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 12:49 PM

thanks Bruce, that's very helpful
cb27