Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Finishing deer hair popper faces

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 TheCream

TheCream

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,529 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 01:11 PM

I've had tons of questions over the last few years about how I finish popper faces, so I finally broke down and did a short, focused video on the technique.  If you have any questions, fire away. 

#2 Henry Denson

Henry Denson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 01:47 PM

Wow, that is very innovative!

#3 Mike West

Mike West

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 724 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 04:50 PM

Nice video.
I do basically the same thing.
Back when I tied bass bugs commercially I took the time to make templates to trim every bassbug exactly the same out of what I think they call acetate(plastic)

Basically you take your time and get a bassbug absolutely perfect freehand and then make a template out acetate that snaps on to the hook eye and then take your scissors and just follow the template.

I lost all my templates moving years ago and have been meaning to replace them ever sense but I have not got around to it yet.

When I do Ill do a SBS on it

Ive noticed hardly any your bassbugs have weed guards on the them..how come?

P.S. your comment in the video about liquid fusion being inexpensive? That stuff is about is about $12-$13 a bottle around here....I use it all the time but I dont consider it cheap.

I use homemade Daves Flexcement for that...Shoe Goo or Goop mixed with Toluene,
You can make it as thin or as thick as you want and it dont cost diddly.

#4 caloosa bug

caloosa bug

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 503 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 08:26 PM

Thanks cream.  I do this in all my hair poppers, and they have become my favorite, and most productive flies.  I pretty much learned how to tie with deer hair by watching your video on the size 10 popper you did a while back. Step by step then pause and repeat. That video, along with practice and patience has helped me tremendously when it comes to working with these difficult and time consuming bugs. Thanks for your contribution.

#5 Poopdeck

Poopdeck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 997 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 08:48 PM

AHAA! Nice video, thanks

Mike try fabric fusion from Walmart. I hear it's the same thing but it's half the cost. Don't know if that's true but I use it and it seems fine.

#6 TheCream

TheCream

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,529 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 08:04 AM

Nice video.
Back when I tied bass bugs commercially I took the time to make templates to trim every bassbug exactly the same out of what I think they call acetate(plastic)

Basically you take your time and get a bassbug absolutely perfect freehand and then make a template out acetate that snaps on to the hook eye and then take your scissors and just follow the template.

I lost all my templates moving years ago and have been meaning to replace them ever sense but I have not got around to it yet.

P.S. your comment in the video about liquid fusion being inexpensive? That stuff is about is about $12-$13 a bottle around here....I use it all the time but I dont consider it cheap.

You're getting ripped off.  I get it at Joann Fabric.  Full price, it's $7/bottle but it's not hard to find a coupon online or in the store.  I am usually getting it for about $5/bottle and the bottle lasts me months.  So to me, that's cheap!

http://www.joann.com...+fusion&start=1

#7 Mike West

Mike West

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 724 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 08:35 AM

Nice video.

You're getting ripped off.  I get it at Joann Fabric.  Full price, it's $7/bottle but it's not hard to find a coupon online or in the store.  I am usually getting it for about $5/bottle and the bottle lasts me months.  So to me, that's cheap!

http://www.joann.com...+fusion&start=1
Yeah I can live with that price. I’ve been getting mine at Hobby Lobby and its like $12+
Thx for the heads up.

#8 TheCream

TheCream

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,529 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 01:15 PM

Mike I completely forgot to answer the weed guard question: I don't fish poppers in heavy cover much.  For that reason, no weed guards.  Sliders and divers I will add weed guards on because that's what I tend to throw in the junk.  Weedy cover in my area is usually either small pads or weedy "mats" on top of the water.  I've never liked the way poppers pull through cover like that, I'd rather have a fly that slips and slides over that cover easier.  Just a personal thing, no weed guards on poppers, almost always on divers/sliders.  I fish poppers on edges and more open water. 

#9 Bimini15

Bimini15

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,820 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 01:58 PM

Yeah I can live with that price. I’ve been getting mine at Hobby Lobby and its like $12+
Thx for the heads up.

I only recently realized that there are two sizes for LF bottles. Maybe that explains the difference in price.

Cream,
Thanks for the tutorial. I am not there yet, but I am definitely filing this one and the size 10 popper video for later. Oh! And the three part popper video tutorial. And... And... :)
Bimini15

#10 Mike West

Mike West

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 724 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 06:19 AM

Thx for the heads up.

I only recently realized that there are two sizes for LF bottles. Maybe that explains the difference in price.
Yep that’s it... I just looked and bottle I’ve been buying is 4 oz