Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

3/8 vise inserts

Vise inserts

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Herbbr

Herbbr

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 08:23 AM

Looking for some sources for 3/8 vise inserts and/or vise risers to make some bases as holiday gifts.
Other than Peak, are there suggestions that anyone may have. Thanks for the help.

#2 fishinguy

fishinguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 09:20 AM

Not sure if this would suit your application or not.
https://m.grainger.c...WY02-adType^PLA

#3 mikechell

mikechell

Cold weather afficando- Give me Snow or give me death!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,274 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 11:05 AM

This pedestal base from Bass Pro is only $20.00.  If all you need is stem holder, it might be the cheapest way to get them.  I've had one of the bases, and the holder is still working after a decade  or more.

http://www.basspro.c...n/pedestal-base

A stem holder from Wolff Indiana is $23.98.

https://www.wolffind...og_Jan_2016.pdf

Barbed hooks rule!

My definition of work: Doing something in which effort exceeds gain.

Ex-Marine ... quondam fidelis

#4 flytire

flytire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,083 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 11:08 AM

Fishinguy

Your link does not work

Remove the space between http and :// to make your link work

I don't think the the part in the link would work as a standoff to support a vise stem unless it's weld to a block of steel

Is a riser even needed?

s-l225.jpg

Fly tyers are masters at making things complicated

#5 fishinguy

fishinguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 11:48 AM

Fishinguy

Your link does not work

Remove the space between http and :// to make your link work

I don't think the the part in the link would work as a standoff to support a vise stem unless it's weld to a block of steel

Fixed. Hard for me to say without knowing the design of the base they're making.

#6 Rocco

Rocco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 877 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 03:45 PM

For decades I've  used an oak board as the base for my vise with an inexpensive mount for the vise post that used to be commonly seen in fly shops.

It is made of a solid metal shaft hollowed at one end to accept  the vise post with a set screw on the side to hold the post in position.  At the the other end, the shaft is threaded to accept a flat point screw.  You countersink the screw into the reverse side of the oak board and then screw the tube onto the exposed point on board's surface area. By adding wood blocks to the surface and deepening the countersunk hole, you can make the vise ride as high as you want.  And it breaks down for travel in a NY minute. 

Rocco

#7 CADenali

CADenali

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 04:16 PM

Herbbr,

I have had great success with brass threaded inserts for 1/4-20 and brass bolts if your base/stand is wood, hard wood is best

ie: maple, oak, bois d'arc etc

The inserts are available at at wood shop supply or Ace, True Value etc. as are Solid brass closet bolts (2/pkg) are 1/4-20 thread

solid brass bolts won't scar the stem.  The bolt can be cut to length easily and then a black hard nylon handle (Ace again) can be threaded onto the bolt for tightening/loosening.

I have several of these over the years for different variations on my tying cabinet.  My vise base is removeable so I can close and my cabinet when not in use.  The picture shows the latest version, the two brass finger screws lower center go through brass inserts to anchor it in place.  The SS stem left of the vice base is the vise extension stem which is anchored into the base with the same hardware.

I also use them on the maple rod holder (2nd pic) for rob building so they break down into a stowable package.

Charlie

lahHsHh.jpg

HhE40AF.jpg

#8 CADenali

CADenali

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 04:19 PM

Better pic of vise mounted on extension.

Charlie

trnRIyi.jpg

#9 Fisherboy0301

Fisherboy0301

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,325 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 04:58 PM

I have a cedar base. I found a square nut that fit the threads on the lovevthat connects my vice to the pedestal, drilled a hole in the cedar round, squared it out with a chisel, and expoxied that nut in there. Works like a charm.
"Yesterday is history, Tomorrow is a mystery, but Today is a gift, thats why they call it the present." - Anonymous

"Snakes are first cowards, then bluffers, and last of all warriors." - Clifford Pope

"To him, all good things -trout as well as eternal salvation- come by grace, and grace comes by art, and art does not come easy." - Norman Maclean  "A River Runs Through It"                                                                            

#10 Gene L

Gene L

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 08:30 PM

Why wouldn't a piece of pipe 3/8" ID work?  You'd have to thread the bottom end and insert a horizontal lock screw, but overall, it wouldn't cost much in materials.