Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Fly fishing Port A

fishing fly fishing port aransas gulf fishing the gulf

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 McFlyLures

McFlyLures

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,291 posts

Posted 16 November 2017 - 09:21 PM

I used to live in Corpus Christi, Texas and would catch fish non stop.  However recently hurricane Harvey came through and destroyed much of Port Aransas and Rockport, and Huston got hit really bad as well.  It seems like much of the fish have moved from my normal spots, and It was very difficult over the last 3 days trying to catch them and find them.  I saw only one redfish in the whole 3 days of fishing, and only a few speckled trout.  

This was the last day on my trip, and I ended up doing a bit of a hail mary and went on the jetties in Port Aransas.  I was going out to see if there were maybe some Tarpon or Jacks at the end of the jetties.  I also thought there might be some sea trout, and even a few bull reds.  While I did see a few people catch some bull reds, they were using live bait, and sinking deep to the bottom, where my fly could not reach.  

Unfortunately the only fish I caught was a needle fish, and they were everywhere shredding my flies.  I did see a lot of sea turtles though, so that was really cool.  

Fly fishing and fly tying videos
www.McFlyAngler.com

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: fishing, fly fishing, port aransas, gulf, fishing the gulf