Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Crappie fly fishing

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#16 Flat Rock native

Flat Rock native

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,783 posts

Posted 22 November 2017 - 10:25 AM

Good luck...

If you pm me an email, I can forward a pdf publication that describes an effective way to rig a big strike indicator to help suspend the fly in the feeding zone

Kenduardo's Lure & Fly

Buffalo, Wyoming

Established: Circa "Whenever you see anything I have, ... that you must buy!"

#17 RickZieger

RickZieger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 403 posts

Posted 22 November 2017 - 11:04 AM

Boa yarn flies, Goldie Jr.,  Only, Rubber legged Dragon, furl tailed Mohair leech, Streamer nymph, Crappie Dart, Perch-a-bou.

At times other flies also work. 

I have sever small ponds that have crappie in them.  They are always hungry.

Rick

#18 Bimini15

Bimini15

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,829 posts

Posted 22 November 2017 - 11:39 AM

Well... No crappie. But not complaining either...

Attached File  B5A06585-6F60-4491-A83F-C31DDE7717D9.jpeg   110.39KB   0 downloads

Attached File  5F5CDA0A-0CDC-4337-9AB3-22F45B0428D1.jpeg   99.98KB   0 downloads
Bimini15

#19 Swamp Fly

Swamp Fly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 22 November 2017 - 12:28 PM

Clousers to match local prey fish.  In our case here in S Florida, olive/white, chart/white, tan/white, brown/white, olive/orange/yellow....  I've caught many specks on top when fish get shallow (3-4') with tan deer hair sliders/divers.

#20 Philly

Philly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,179 posts

Posted 22 November 2017 - 01:07 PM

I've done the bulk of my crappie fishing with spinning gear.  Using a minnow and a slip bobber or twister tail with a slip bobber.  I also used twister tail as a searching pattern to see where the crappie were hanging out.  I've caught them with a fly rod but haven't really targeted them.  That should change this coming spring.  Years ago I tried to come up with a fly that imitated a twister tail grub.  I dubbed it the Eztaz bug.  It's the only fly I've ever caught crappie on.  White is the color that works best.  Mainly size 6 and 8

Attached File  estaz_bug.jpg   68.14KB   0 downloads

Fairly simple tie

A marabou tail the length of the hook shank with a few pieces of flash on either side. These days I use 2 or 3 pieces on each side.

3 or 4 wraps of lead wire around the center of the shank.

Wrap pearl estaz on the shank

then trim the estaz to try and get a grub shaped body.

Here's a more detailed description.

http://www.flytiersp...o/estaz_bug.htm

"All things considered, I'd rather be in Philadelphia."

#21 Prybis

Prybis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 22 November 2017 - 01:49 PM

One with with catching them on top is, they do not always strike the lure coming out of the water. I have had the jump out of the water to the side of the fly on hit it on the way back into the water. Make sure you fell them take they fly before setting the hook. When they are shallow in the spring for spawning is the best time to get them on top water.

Mike P.

#22 Bimini15

Bimini15

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,829 posts

Posted 24 November 2017 - 05:51 PM

You guys are masters at giving advice.
Second try, this cool evening. Same fly as last time.

Attached File  19A6BBF2-0827-4AA9-8D71-BABEB7827F61.jpeg   128.1KB   0 downloads

Attached File  D48D04A5-0D56-4110-9D80-7204ADFEDF4A.jpeg   126.29KB   0 downloads
Bimini15

#23 caloosa bug

caloosa bug

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 504 posts

Posted 24 November 2017 - 06:24 PM

Nice!

#24 mikechell

mikechell

Cold weather afficando- Give me Snow or give me death!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,438 posts

Posted 24 November 2017 - 07:08 PM

Those are a couple of pretty Sac-au-lait.

Barbed hooks rule!

My definition of work: Doing something in which effort exceeds gain.

Ex-Marine ... quondam fidelis

#25 islander727

islander727

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 804 posts

Posted 27 November 2017 - 10:38 AM

You can count on one hand the number of them that I've caught (assuming you have all your fingers.  If not, substitute foot).  All but one have come on a #10 olive krystal bugger.  The other took a white #10 gurgler.  

I'm fishing the local freshwater canals, so that might make a difference.  Good luck!

Edit: just read the second page.  Nice work!  

#26 shoebop

shoebop

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,587 posts

Posted 27 November 2017 - 04:55 PM

Have a look at this site:  http://www.warmwater...com/welcome.asp      They were recommending this book too.

wilson-book.jpg

Shoebop

#27 islander727

islander727

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 804 posts

Posted 27 November 2017 - 05:42 PM

^^^ They also wrote an excellent book on bluegill.

#28 Mike West

Mike West

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 731 posts

Posted 27 November 2017 - 07:58 PM

Everything has been pretty much covered so I wont comment in detail other than they are minnow eaters.
And the fry they eat are whatever fish are in the lake or pond you fish,

Basically any streamer pattern with a white, cream or pearl belly....1/2-2 long with a contrasting back...grey,black,chartuese,blue, etc will catch Crappie

You just have to find out where they are holding at and what depth they are at.

And yes they will hit poppers and dry flies

I used to fish a farm pond years ago....Every night in the summer a Mayfly hatch would happen around 4-5 oclock.... under a willow tree that was hanging over 15 feet of water. For about an hour you could catch Crappie in 15 of water on top water stuff

#29 JSzymczyk

JSzymczyk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,306 posts

Posted 27 November 2017 - 08:34 PM

also forgot to mention that I used to fish a pond in the stinking armpit of the south,  which was turbid at best, and plain old muddy after a rain but held some very nice crappies- 14" to 15" range.   The best fly there was a #6 cone-head woolly bugger on a 3xl or 4xl hook, fully dressed, with a chartreuse tail, yellow chennile body, and chartreuse hackle- gold cone-head.  I imagine it had something to do with them being able to feel it with their lateral line as well as possibly picking out the bright color when they got close enough.     I've usually done as well as can be expected with black and purple and dark blue in water with horrible visibility, but in that place, chartreuse and yellow was the ticket.

the gales of November remembered...

#30 Camp'n'fish

Camp'n'fish

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 28 November 2017 - 10:36 PM

Like everyone else mentioned, streamers do work well, but I've caught a lot on #10 or 12 dark grey soft hackles. Just be prepared for a lot of bluegills as well.