Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

HMH TVR tying vise.....

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#1 flytire

flytire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,163 posts

Posted 23 November 2017 - 06:36 AM

....its official

PI5H12O.jpg

be one of the first 100 to call on friday and reserve one

https://us12.campaig...e&id=8c608546fc

Friday is my second favorite "f" word. Floccinaucinihilipilification is my first.

#2 Lesg

Lesg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 23 November 2017 - 08:27 AM

Hmmmm, for almost $700 U.S. plus border taxes I could buy enough tying material  to last the rest of my life. I think I'll keep tying on my cheap vise 

. It is a nice looking tool though, for vise junkies with fat wallets.Lol

Les

#3 flytire

flytire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,163 posts

Posted 23 November 2017 - 08:46 AM

yup

its not for everybody but the vise junkies out there will have to have one

no arm twisting to buy it

Friday is my second favorite "f" word. Floccinaucinihilipilification is my first.

#4 Bruce Derington

Bruce Derington

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,250 posts

Posted 23 November 2017 - 09:14 AM

I have been known as an all round fly tying junkie, and have owned the spartan and the standard. Both were passed on to up- and- coming tiers.
Jaws of these take on a law's appearance. Ummm

#5 heavynets

heavynets

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 23 November 2017 - 01:41 PM

I already have one.  I can rip off a Law vise too.

Attached Files

#6 barrytheguide

barrytheguide

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 24 November 2017 - 10:33 PM

Mine is on order, it should be here by the end of next week. There are two versions, the Spartan being less than $500, not bad when a LAW sells used for $3500-$4000.
Heavynets, yours might be a decent copy, but it doesnt have the adjustment of the HMH

Attached Files

#7 whatfly

whatfly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 995 posts

Posted 27 November 2017 - 12:05 PM

While I'm intrigued by the LAW-like jaws, cannot say that anything else impresses me about this vise.  Is this the third or the fourth LAW knock-off to hit the market? 

Think I will wait for the next clone and see what they come up with.

#8 novabass

novabass

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 02:06 PM

I just wanted to post real quick about the new TRV from HMH. Even though I'm a bit biased, because I work for HMH, I've had a chance to tie on the TRV and I really enjoy it. The jaws hold hooks extremely well and the largest hook I was able to place in the jaws was a 2/0 thick saltwater hook. The smallest hook I have around here is an 18 and it held it with ease.

The large brass handle might be underestimated if you have not used it. To me, it is great to be able to place my hand on the handle to rotate the vise instead of trying to take two fingers to rotate it with a smaller knob. Having said that, there is a hole drilled in the end and HMH is working on a smaller knob that will thread into it and allow you to use a different handle for rotating.

FrankenFly <--my website
Where fly tying comes to life!

HMH Vises - Social Media Admin/Pro Team Manager

#9 Bugsy

Bugsy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 719 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 03:27 PM

I just wanted to post real quick about the new TRV from HMH. Even though I'm a bit biased, because I work for HMH, I've had a chance to tie on the TRV and I really enjoy it. The jaws hold hooks extremely well and the largest hook I was able to place in the jaws was a 2/0 thick saltwater hook. The smallest hook I have around here is an 18 and it held it with ease.

The large brass handle might be underestimated if you have not used it. To me, it is great to be able to place my hand on the handle to rotate the vise instead of trying to take two fingers to rotate it with a smaller knob. Having said that, there is a hole drilled in the end and HMH is working on a smaller knob that will thread into it and allow you to use a different handle for rotating.

Great, maybe you can answer a few questions...

1. What size is the pedestal?  Is it the same dimensions as the cast iron and brass bases used for spartan and standard vises?

2. Is there an option for a c-clamp version?

3. Does the joint in front of the chassis, the one that allows for "true" rotary, have any additional feature to prevent slippage?

4. Whereas the LAW jaw assembly was machined then followed with extensive hand filing, the HMH jaw assembly appears to be cast or (less likely) forged, is that true?  HMH states it being tool steel;  is any treatment applied to the jaw assembly or is it left natural?

#10 AK Skim

AK Skim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 03 December 2017 - 12:29 PM

....its official

PI5H12O.jpg

be one of the first 100 to call on friday and reserve one

https://us12.campaig...e&id=8c608546fc

Been waiting...

Thanks

#11 novabass

novabass

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 05:36 PM

Great, maybe you can answer a few questions...

1. What size is the pedestal?  Is it the same dimensions as the cast iron and brass bases used for spartan and standard vises?

2. Is there an option for a c-clamp version?

3. Does the joint in front of the chassis, the one that allows for "true" rotary, have any additional feature to prevent slippage?

4. Whereas the LAW jaw assembly was machined then followed with extensive hand filing, the HMH jaw assembly appears to be cast or (less likely) forged, is that true?  HMH states it being tool steel;  is any treatment applied to the jaw assembly or is it left natural?

1. Approximately, yes.

2. Yes, that will be available.

3. Yes, it has a set screw like the others from HMH.

4. I'll ask the owner about this and get back with you.

FrankenFly <--my website

#12 flytire

flytire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,163 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 06:04 PM

novabass

when will it be available in shops?

#13 novabass

novabass

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 06:19 PM

novabass

when will it be available in shops?

I'm not sure on an exact date, but they are working on it.

FrankenFly <--my website

#14 cphubert

cphubert

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 07:12 PM

novabass

Is the vise adaptable for left hand use? or are they going to offer a left hand model?

#15 Bazzer69

Bazzer69

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 11:05 PM

My TRV arrived today and Im like it a lot. The LAW style jaws appear to be made of cast tool steel and hold the hook very firmly. So far Ive tried it with a size 18 Trout hook and a size 5/0 salmon iron. The larger sizes can be held by one of the two vertical grooves in one of the Jaws. .in both cases the hook was held very securely.
Rotation is obtained by the large palm wheel. The friction of which is adjustable so you can elect to spin the work or rotate it and hold it in any position.

Attached Files