Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

First try at a spey fly

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 prairiedrifter

prairiedrifter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 24 November 2017 - 08:51 AM

First one with materials I had on hand

Attached Files

#2 Dave G.

Dave G.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,479 posts

Posted 24 November 2017 - 11:16 AM

Looks good to me !

John 7:38 ESV  is about "Rivers of Living Water"

#3 Bimini15

Bimini15

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 24 November 2017 - 11:53 AM

No expert here, but that looks great to me.
Bimini15

#4 atxdiscgolfer

atxdiscgolfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,297 posts

Posted 24 November 2017 - 02:00 PM

Looks great, those are the next type of patterns that I want to learn how to tie

#5 spiralspey

spiralspey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 24 November 2017 - 02:04 PM

Nice lines on that fly, and a pretty good job of setting that mallard roof. Way better than my first attempts.

If it was me, I'd thin out the body hackle. Strip one side of the hackle and use less turns. If you have too much hackle the fly will push a lot of water and skate to the surface and a heavy throat will make it tend to lay on its side on the swing. Neither is necessarily a bad thing, but not what I'd like a spey fly to do on the swing.

#6 prairiedrifter

prairiedrifter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 24 November 2017 - 02:08 PM

I did strip one side. I can reduce the number of turns and thin out the throat hackle also.