Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

AZTEC patterns?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Rocco

Rocco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 08:54 AM

I have heard good things about the effectiveness of these streamers but cannot find much about how tio tie them.

Thanks for any insights,

Rocco

#2 Philly

Philly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 09:48 AM

Google Aztec fly pattern.  There's one You Tube demonstration on how to tie it.  And a couple of more that have instructions on how to tie it.  I'd never heard of it until you mentioned it.  Looks like an interesting pattern. 

"All things considered, I'd rather be in Philadelphia."

#3 spiralspey

spiralspey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 10:25 AM

I remember the aztec from an article I read when I was a kid, probably the late 70's or early 80's. I tied a few and they're pretty easy to tie, basically a yarn matuka. The ones I tied were out of whatever yarn my mom had in her knitting basket. They caught fish (bass and pike), but were either very light and hard to get to sink if the fibers weren't well soaked or very heavy and hard to cast if the fly was wet. Either way the fly had a lot of resistance in the water and you could strip it very slowly and it would just hang there when you paused. Pike loved my aztecs but their teeth were a nightmare on the yarn. I bet if you tied one with today's better synthetics you could make a nice, effective streamer, that you could cast and would actually sink.

#4 Rocco

Rocco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 11:30 AM

I tried Youtube but obviously messed up the search request. I'll trry again.

Thanks,

Rocco

#5 flytire

flytire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,143 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 12:03 PM

YouTube found this

https://youtu.be/c0qZx1SU9XU
Friday is my second favorite "f" word. Floccinaucinihilipilification is my first.

#6 Capt Bob LeMay

Capt Bob LeMay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,216 posts

Posted 01 December 2017 - 06:50 AM

Like spiral... it's been years since I heard the slightest mention of Aztecs... I guess everything old is new again at some point.

Tight lines Bob LeMay (954) 435-5666

#7 Rocco

Rocco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 01 December 2017 - 07:38 AM

Except me!  I just keep getting older and older...  One nice thing is that lots of old stuff went out of fashion for no good reason and because distant memory is better t than near memory, you can make it useful again.   .

I'm still looking for the original recipe.  Youtube only has a sheep wool variant. The one I recall had a much more complicated tying style all based on antron rug yarn.  The fly pushed water and moved in it. 

Rocco

#8 flytire

flytire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,143 posts

Posted 01 December 2017 - 08:43 AM

so you couldnt substitute antron yarn for the material used in the video link above?

page 309-311 of the "fly tiers benchside reference"

a good book to add to your christmas list

RvdAjHd.jpg

00U05Ff.jpg

t9jZouB.jpg

http://www.flyfisher...patterns/aztec/

http://www.flydresse...c_streamer.html

Friday is my second favorite "f" word. Floccinaucinihilipilification is my first.

#9 spiralspey

spiralspey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 01 December 2017 - 05:37 PM

Yah, flytire, that's exactly how I remember tying an Aztec. After tying it you'd brush out the yarn and clip it so it looked like an Aztec haircut. I tied mine with a tail, though, also out of yarn and brushed out. Similar to tying a yarn crab fly.