Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

DIY bonefish, Belize

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Erichugh22

Erichugh22

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 10:16 AM

Hey guys, I did a write up on my site on diy fishing opportunities in Belize for bonefish, tarpon, permit and other species. Check it out and tell me what you think. Article was based on my recent trip.

https://theoutdoorob...onefish-belize/
Attached File  Screenshot_20171130-091306.png   1.04MB   0 downloads

#2 Bryon Anderson

Bryon Anderson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 12:11 PM

Nice article, Eric. Got me excited -- I just emailed it to my wife and told her we have to do Belize! :)

"... trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience." -- John Voelker (aka Robert Traver), Testament of a Fisherman

#3 Hazathor

Hazathor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 12:25 PM

Ambergris Caye is beautiful! I was there fifteen years ago before I really got into fly fishing. I'm glad to hear its still a great destination. I think I've got the lady convinced to take a trip I just need to figure out how much fishing time I can squeeze in. Thanks for sharing your review.

-Nick H.

#4 FlatsRoamer

FlatsRoamer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,484 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 04:00 PM

Man that was awesome to read. I myself have done a couple diy bonefish trips, but never with the luck you had or the success. Keep it up!!

Still hunting for my first tarpon on fly! 

Why are windknots in love with me?

Can't wait for that diy trip to Acklins!!

Find my youtube channel in the link below

https://www.youtube....plkVnmuDObYCLBg

#5 islander727

islander727

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 804 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 04:41 PM

Great article.  

#6 chugbug27

chugbug27

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 05:32 PM

You're on a nice roll, erichugh22, what's your story?
cb27

#7 Erichugh22

Erichugh22

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 01 December 2017 - 02:40 PM

Thanks guys. I don't have much of a story. I've been fly fishing for around 10 years now. I spend may-octover every year guiding along Wyoming north Platte river and in the winter and spring I'm back in Texas fishing the coastal waters. I pretty much just started my blog up to try and pass helpful info to as many people as I can. Thanks again for all the feedback guys

#8 FlatsRoamer

FlatsRoamer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,484 posts

Posted 01 December 2017 - 04:15 PM

Cool man, I have spent a lot of time recently thinking about guiding part-time when I am of age... how do you like it?

On the blog, I went over the SBS's a couple times and think a couple things could be better. One is to add a couple more pictures for the steps, and maybe a "tip" picture. For example, show a picture showing how you tied in the eyes, if you used pliers to bend the butt section of the stalk to make it an easier tie in  even better. This was one of the main things I really struggled with when I first started and wished I had known that trick before. Also, I would have added a link to where you did the dubbing loop (but thats just me). In the Riffle has a good one for that, short and to the point. 

Really not trying to negatively talk about the blog because it is an awesome one, I'll have to subscribe if there's an option for that. Keep up the good work man, I run an Instagram page where I post pics of my flies and a key thing I have picked on is just to keep posting steady, quality content. 

Flats

Still hunting for my first tarpon on fly! 

Why are windknots in love with me?

Can't wait for that diy trip to Acklins!!

Find my youtube channel in the link below

https://www.youtube....plkVnmuDObYCLBg