Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

New Swap Idea

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 eastern fly

eastern fly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,812 posts

Posted 03 December 2017 - 09:29 AM

I have an idea for a swap for after New Years. I want to keep the numbers down for this one. It's a Life Cycle Swap. It could be any or all of usual mayfly, caddis or midge. Let know what you think. 

Kevin

https://www.instagram.com/eastern.fly/

A Pitt fan, a Marshall fan, and a WVU fan are climbing a mountain and arguing about who loves their team most. The Marshall fan insists that he is most loyal and then yells,"This is for Marshall!" and jumps off the mountain. Not to be out done,The WVU fan next professes his love for his team. He screams,"This is for the Mountaineers!" and pushes the Pitt fan off the mountain.

Anyone can be a father. It takes a man to be a Dad! Kiss your kids today.

#2 atxdiscgolfer

atxdiscgolfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,297 posts

Posted 03 December 2017 - 10:38 AM

I was in this same swap about 3 yrs ago, i think natedubay hosted it. I may be interested if your thinking around 4 people or so

#3 eastern fly

eastern fly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,812 posts

Posted 03 December 2017 - 10:54 AM

I was in this same swap about 3 yrs ago, i think natedubay hosted it. I may be interested if your thinking around 4 people or so

How did that swap work?

Kevin

A Pitt fan, a Marshall fan, and a WVU fan are climbing a mountain and arguing about who loves their team most. The Marshall fan insists that he is most loyal and then yells,"This is for Marshall!" and jumps off the mountain. Not to be out done,The WVU fan next professes his love for his team. He screams,"This is for the Mountaineers!" and pushes the Pitt fan off the mountain.

#4 atxdiscgolfer

atxdiscgolfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,297 posts

Posted 03 December 2017 - 11:58 AM

From what i recall, there was 4 of us not including the swapmeister- each person tied 4 of each stage if a particular bug- i.e. - 4 caddis pupae, 4 caddis nymphs, 4 adult caddis patterns

#5 Fisherboy0301

Fisherboy0301

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,358 posts

Posted 03 December 2017 - 12:08 PM

I'd be in
"Yesterday is history, Tomorrow is a mystery, but Today is a gift, thats why they call it the present." - Anonymous

"Snakes are first cowards, then bluffers, and last of all warriors." - Clifford Pope

"To him, all good things -trout as well as eternal salvation- come by grace, and grace comes by art, and art does not come easy." - Norman Maclean  "A River Runs Through It"                                                                            

#6 eastern fly

eastern fly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,812 posts

Posted 03 December 2017 - 12:20 PM

From what i recall, there was 4 of us not including the swapmeister- each person tied 4 of each stage if a particular bug- i.e. - 4 caddis pupae, 4 caddis nymphs, 4 adult caddis patterns

That's something like what I'm thinking.

Kevin

#7 vicrider

vicrider

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,259 posts

Posted 03 December 2017 - 12:45 PM

I think it's a great idea. It would make a person do a little research on the life styles of the bug he picked. I think a person could handle 6 guests in the running with a total of 4 flies per species. Most mayflies or most aquatic cycle winged insects have 4 trout edible points in their maturing. The eggs of insects are too small to consider for all but the smallest of carnivores but the nymph goes through many molting cycles in growth. At a given point in their life cycle they become more buoyant and rise to the surface where they struggle in the film, usually with trailing shuck, as emergers. Eventually they bust through, lost the shock and become winged adults. Again, depending on particular species they go to shore, complete their trip to sexual maturity in a day or two, then come back to lay eggs, females of course, and end up as spinners. Using nymph, emerger, adult and spinner of a species would give us four ties person and 24 total with 6 people in, of which I would enjoy being one of them.

Edit to suggest you lay out choices for those tying so different patterns are in play. Examples could be Yellow Sally, Green Drake, Stone fly and Damsel fly and a few others that would separate the patterns some.

#8 atxdiscgolfer

atxdiscgolfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,297 posts

Posted 03 December 2017 - 01:04 PM

Well let me know what you decide to do, i am in if we end up tying a max if 12 flies, but i am out if it ends up being 2 dozen flies because unfortunately my work schedule will not allow it

#9 atxdiscgolfer

atxdiscgolfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,297 posts

Posted 03 December 2017 - 01:21 PM

I did some research and found the swap that i was in amd it not exactly a Life Cycle Swap but pretty close; i did find a true Life Cycle Swap that someone else hosted and they had 5 people thing 20 flies total.

http://www.flytyingf...showtopic=72901

#10 Wetsock

Wetsock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 03 December 2017 - 02:34 PM

Keep us posted I would be interested in something like this

#11 chugbug27

chugbug27

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 03 December 2017 - 02:34 PM

I would want in if you would have me
cb27

#12 Bruce Derington

Bruce Derington

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,250 posts

Posted 03 December 2017 - 06:23 PM

Hendrickson,I'm down, but as other comments, exceptif there were too many guys

#13 eastern fly

eastern fly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,812 posts

Posted 03 December 2017 - 06:52 PM

If I took 8 people and go with a four and 4. Two groups each are tying for only 4 people. Nymph , emerger/cripple, 

dry type and a spinner type. I know that not all have a "spinner" but you understand that type of life finish. That will keep the numbers under control. Even if I got more people I can keep them grouped. Thoughts?

Kevin

#14 atxdiscgolfer

atxdiscgolfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,297 posts

Posted 03 December 2017 - 09:09 PM

So 8 people tying 8 flies each- for example i would tie 4 BWO Cripples and 4 BWO dry flies

#15 flytire

flytire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,170 posts

Posted 03 December 2017 - 09:48 PM

no. you would be tying a life cycle set for each swapper

kevin, keep it simple. stay with 6-8 swappers with each swapper tying a life cycle set of 3-4 flies

whichever insect you pick you tie that many flies x the number of tyer

mayflies

json_sweden_mayfly_chart.jpg

caddis

json_sweden_caddis_flies_chart.jpg

stoneflies

json_sweden_stonefly_Chart.jpg

midges

Midge-Life-Cycle-1.jpg

img425056690d9cd.jpg

Friday is my second favorite "f" word. Floccinaucinihilipilification is my first.