Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Perfection Loop

Knot perfection loop loop knot

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 McFlyLures

McFlyLures

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,290 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 12:07 PM

The Perfection Loop is an amazing knot for making loops on monofilament fishing line or nylon leader.  It is strong, and makes a beautiful knot!  Its small, and goes through guides pretty easily.  It is a must have in the fisherman's arsenal of tricks.  

I use this the most to make loops in leader that I need to connect to a loop in a fishing line.  The loop to loop connection is easy, and strong.  I have also heard that people use this knot for tying on flies.  However I have other knots I find better for this.  

Not only is this knot strong and effective, its also easy to tie.  Once you get the hang of it, you can tie it in a few seconds.  Being quick to tie and effective really make this an excellent knot.  

Fly fishing and fly tying videos
www.McFlyAngler.com

#2 mikechell

mikechell

Cold weather afficando- Give me Snow or give me death!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,428 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 01:16 PM

I've never understood how someone would use this knot to "tie on a fly".  I use it all the time for my fly line/leader/tippet (now that I am using a tippet), but not for the fly.  

Either the loop would have to be large enough to pass over the fly, AND the eye of the hook be large enough for two strands of tippet ... or there's another way to tie the knot so that the hook is actually free swinging on the loop.  (tie the knot without pulling loops through loops.

Barbed hooks rule!

My definition of work: Doing something in which effort exceeds gain.

Ex-Marine ... quondam fidelis

#3 FIN-ITE 34

FIN-ITE 34

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 514 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 01:27 PM

Nope. You pass the leader through the eye of the hook before you form the knot.

#4 Bugsy

Bugsy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 719 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 01:46 PM

Attach fly with perfection loop:

http://youtu.be/UL26t2SWT3U?t=3m56s

#5 Gene L

Gene L

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,058 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 01:46 PM

I use this knot and it not only works, but it's easy to tie.

HOWEVER, I tried to teach it to my left-handed buddy.  It didn't work out, so the instructions are for RH.

#6 mikechell

mikechell

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,428 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 02:06 PM

Thanks bugsy ... that explains how to keep the loop small.

Barbed hooks rule!

#7 islander727

islander727

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 804 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 06:03 AM

explains how to keep the loop small.

Something I was struggling with, until I saw this.  Thanks!

#8 Capt Bob LeMay

Capt Bob LeMay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,216 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 11:01 AM

I much prefer the improved Homer Rhode loop knot and use it daily, multiple times, on almost every rig on my skiff (whether fly or conventional). for bite tippets ranging from 20lb up to 100lb....

Tight lines Bob LeMay (954) 435-5666

#9 Fisherboy0301

Fisherboy0301

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,357 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 12:22 PM

Attached File  IMG_4779.JPG   14.13KB   0 downloads

I use the nonslip mono loop knot.
"Yesterday is history, Tomorrow is a mystery, but Today is a gift, thats why they call it the present." - Anonymous

"Snakes are first cowards, then bluffers, and last of all warriors." - Clifford Pope

"To him, all good things -trout as well as eternal salvation- come by grace, and grace comes by art, and art does not come easy." - Norman Maclean  "A River Runs Through It"                                                                            

#10 mikechell

mikechell

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,428 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 12:48 PM

Bob and fisherboy.  I am not starting an argument ... just showing why I don't like and don't use either of those knots. (Homer Rhode or non-slip)

Attached File  homer_rhode_loop_knot2.jpg   95.28KB   0 downloads

I'm sure those knots work for you guys, or you wouldn't be using them.  I just keep thinking of the overhand knot, which is the most common "air knot" and the reason I lose an indeterminate number of flies and fish.

Barbed hooks rule!

#11 spiralspey

spiralspey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 01:28 PM

I've tested several loop knots against each other over the years and the perfection is easily the weakest loop knot I've tried. It makes a nice straight loop and is damned easy to tie, but I never use it except for making loops in the heavy butt end of trout leaders.

#12 mikechell

mikechell

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,428 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 01:35 PM

I haven't been using the perfection loop for very long ... maybe a year or two ... but the only time I KNOW it was the knot that failed, I also know I had the lines twisted as I pulled it tight.

Again, I am not really promoting the perfection loop ... it's just that it's been ... "bery bery gud to me!"

Barbed hooks rule!

#13 Fisherboy0301

Fisherboy0301

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,357 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 02:15 PM

Mike, yes that know weakens the line when tied in a single straight piece where it compresses down on itself in both the knots Captain Bob and I posted, there are other lines in the "loop" of the overhand knot. The knot has something to tighten down on and doesn't compress down on itself which is what causes a failure in a leader/tippet, known as "wind knots". Not trying to argue but that's my understanding of it.
"Yesterday is history, Tomorrow is a mystery, but Today is a gift, thats why they call it the present." - Anonymous

"Snakes are first cowards, then bluffers, and last of all warriors." - Clifford Pope

"To him, all good things -trout as well as eternal salvation- come by grace, and grace comes by art, and art does not come easy." - Norman Maclean  "A River Runs Through It"                                                                            

#14 mikechell

mikechell

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,428 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 02:25 PM

Yep, Fisherboy ... I know that argument for those knots, the extra lines through the knot keep it from tightening down on "itself".  And I have no facts to doubt them. mellow.png

But still ... it's an overhand knot! ohmy.png I just don't trust overhand knots! blink.png

Barbed hooks rule!

#15 sandflyx

sandflyx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,398 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 07:56 AM

the perfection knot is the same knot used on snelled hook manufacturers. (eagle claw) for bait fishing, its held up for years. I wouldn't use it for big fish or salt but for trout, bass, etc. its fine. I like the triple surgeons loop knot for my bigger fish. you just adjust the size before tightening it

sandfly/bob

www.bigmeadowsflyshop.com

N.J.B.B.A. #2215
Tiadaughton T.U. #688
fly tying and fishing instructor/shop owner

"I TIE FROM BILLFISH TO GUPPIE FLY'S" !
Fly Fishing and Tying Ghillie

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Knot, perfection loop, loop knot