Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Flash blend bait fish brush

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 flyrod04

flyrod04

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 12:46 PM

Hello!

Has anyone played around with the flash blend bait fish brush from " just add H2O"?

I use the Ep Brush alot and was wondering how this would compare and if it has any craft fur in it?

thanks in advance!

#2 steve sparkie

steve sparkie

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 12:54 PM

If your fly fishing for pike try pike trek.com dubbing brushes are not a lot of use for lures as they don't provide the life like movement that long fibres produce a better action I have been tying my own pike flies for four years and have tried a lot of combinations and dubbing brush doesn't create movement like longer fibres hope this helps

Steve Sparkie

#3 flyrod04

flyrod04

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 01:02 PM

If your fly fishing for pike try pike trek.com dubbing brushes are not a lot of use for lures as they don't provide the life like movement that long fibres produce a better action I have been tying my own pike flies for four years and have tried a lot of combinations and dubbing brush doesn't create movement like longer fibres hope this helps

Steve Sparkie

thank you Steve!  I do tie some Pike flies, but I tie a lot of Striper flies with brushes, I like simple patterns that I can tie quickly.

I will definitely check out Piketrek!  thanks for the lead!

#4 whatfly

whatfly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 995 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 06:02 PM

Have not played with that product but if it follows the other H20 products such as the Farrar blends, should be identical to the EP brushes except with more flash. 

With regards to Steve Sparkie's point, considering this line was developed by Blane Chocklett, I suspect this product is very useful for pike and muskie.

#5 islander727

islander727

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 804 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 05:59 AM

I just got a pack of flash blend bait fish recently, but haven't tied with it yet.    The fibers are stiffer than EP, and the brush has a lot of flash.   There's no craft fur in this particular brush.  They do make a polar fiber brush, which would be a lot more supple, if that's what you're looking for.

Unfortunately, there are only two brushes per pack.  

#6 flyrod04

flyrod04

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 01:38 PM

I would be interested in trying the stuff if i could find it.  I may have to pick some up with an order on line.