Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Bush Pig Streamer Materials

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ejcrist

ejcrist

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 10:24 PM

There's a pattern I'd like to tie called the Bush Pig. It's a nice looking streamer that I believe originated from a fellow (bloke) in Australia. Here's the link: http://www.flyangler...pdf/BUSHPIG.pdf

Anyway, the pattern calls for Tiewell Ghost Fibre and DNA Holofusion for the body. I have plenty of Holofusion but apparently the Ghost Fibre isn't available at any of the popular fly tying supply places I know of online or in stores locally. From the pictures it's hard to tell what we have available here in the U.S. that's close enough - it looks like any number of synthetic fibers I'm familiar with but of course I can't tell it's texture, etc. Does anyone know where to get this material, or has anyone used a substitute successfully?

Thanks, Gene 

"I've spent most my money on guns, molds, and reloading supplies. The rest I just wasted."

-Elmer Keith

#2 Flat Rock native

Flat Rock native

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,746 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 10:54 PM

You may wish to call Fly Tyers Dungeon and speak with Mad Scientist. He may know the generic product or a close fascimile. He carries stuff that resembles it, although I don't have a great picture of the pattern via this device.

Very cool fly and welcome to the forum. Speaking for many here, we would enjoy more details and photos of your results.

Kenduardo's Lure & Fly

Buffalo, Wyoming

Established: Circa "Whenever you see anything I have, ... that you must buy!"

#3 fshng2

fshng2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 11:38 PM

Welcome to the forum.
I am not familiar with this material.
However I found out that it is polypropylene and that it does not absorb water. I found it called Roman Moser Ghost Fibre and JMC Ghost fiber.
I couldn't find a local vendor either only across the pond.
Check out attached link for poly bear, maybe this would work.
http://www.feather-craft.com/poly-bear

#4 flytire

flytire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,169 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 05:28 AM

did you try here

https://www.alpinean...23B886192348C10

what would be wrong in just using holofusion in the appropriate colors

ice dub shimmer fringe

dubbing_ice_dub_shimmer_fringe_lg1_minno

farrar blends

tie_farrar_lg.jpg

Friday is my second favorite "f" word. Floccinaucinihilipilification is my first.

#5 mikechell

mikechell

Cold weather afficando- Give me Snow or give me death!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,428 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 07:11 AM

From the looks of the fly on the link ... you could, probably, use any of the craft fur versions available.

Barbed hooks rule!

My definition of work: Doing something in which effort exceeds gain.

Ex-Marine ... quondam fidelis

#6 ejcrist

ejcrist

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 11:24 AM

Welcome to the forum.
I am not familiar with this material.
However I found out that it is polypropylene and that it does not absorb water. I found it called Roman Moser Ghost Fibre and JMC Ghost fiber.
I couldn't find a local vendor either only across the pond.
Check out attached link for poly bear, maybe this would work.
http://www.feather-craft.com/poly-bear

I think you're right about the Poly Bear being plenty close enough. I'll order some of that and see how she turns out. 

I also thought about just using all Holofusion but I'm guessing that would be a little flashier than the pattern calls for. I think using craft fur would would result in the opposite - too little flash. As far as action is concerned I think Holofusion would be the same as the ghost fiber since they're both in the original pattern but craft fur might be a little too stiff.

"I've spent most my money on guns, molds, and reloading supplies. The rest I just wasted."

-Elmer Keith

#7 mikechell

mikechell

Cold weather afficando- Give me Snow or give me death!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,428 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 12:11 PM

Maybe we're thinking of different things.   The craft fur I have is one of the softest, most "flowing" fibers in my cache.  It's the one I use the least, because of it's propensity to wrap around the hook.

Barbed hooks rule!

My definition of work: Doing something in which effort exceeds gain.

Ex-Marine ... quondam fidelis

#8 Camp'n'fish

Camp'n'fish

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 04:39 PM

My craft fur is very supple as well. But then again it's from Joan's, so it isn't exactly fly tying material.