Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Mousing

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 jalberts1

jalberts1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 10 March 2018 - 11:24 AM

I have nibbled around the edges of mousing for large trout but never took it real seriously, I really enjoy fishing wet flies, BUT....   I am going too make a concerted effort this year to work at it and see what transpires.  I tie my own leaders so I can make anything I want, my question is, what do I want?  In the infrequent occasions in the past  when I have tried a mouse pattern I have used the same leader I might use on a large streamer (with a floating line of course) 4-5 ft of stout Maxima either Ultra Green or Chameleon   Any of you "expert mousers" want to educate me.  I would appreciate it

#2 eastern fly

eastern fly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,899 posts

Posted 10 March 2018 - 03:54 PM

I use basically the same, just a straight leader. About 5 or 6' with a loop. I actually was thinking of having a mouse swap also. The big boys come up for them.

Kevin 

https://www.instagram.com/eastern.fly/

A Pitt fan, a Marshall fan, and a WVU fan are climbing a mountain and arguing about who loves their team most. The Marshall fan insists that he is most loyal and then yells,"This is for Marshall!" and jumps off the mountain. Not to be out done,The WVU fan next professes his love for his team. He screams,"This is for the Mountaineers!" and pushes the Pitt fan off the mountain.

Anyone can be a father. It takes a man to be a Dad! Kiss your kids today.

#3 vicente

vicente

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,708 posts

Posted 10 March 2018 - 03:56 PM

I'm not an expert mouser by any means but I fish a lot of similar sized hair bugs and burgers, I use 3 ft of 20lb mason hard mono 2-3ft of 20lb maxima, 2 or 3 ft of 12 lb stren floro, turns good sized flys over pretty well.

#4 ben bell

ben bell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 11 March 2018 - 10:50 AM

i make my own braided knotless tapered 5' leader from power pro and ty on about 4' of 20# mono..it casts everything no matter size..

#5 eastern fly

eastern fly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,899 posts

Posted 11 March 2018 - 12:51 PM

i make my own braided knotless tapered 5' leader from power pro and ty on about 4' of 20# mono..it casts everything no matter size..

I would like to know more about you leader. How it is made?

Kevin

A Pitt fan, a Marshall fan, and a WVU fan are climbing a mountain and arguing about who loves their team most. The Marshall fan insists that he is most loyal and then yells,"This is for Marshall!" and jumps off the mountain. Not to be out done,The WVU fan next professes his love for his team. He screams,"This is for the Mountaineers!" and pushes the Pitt fan off the mountain.

#6 ben bell

ben bell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 11 March 2018 - 01:10 PM

Hi Kevin..google fish tales all twisted up..it,s a video that showed me how to do it..i made some changes in doing it but the video showed me what needed to be done..the video also shows how to make a loop for each end.

#7 eastern fly

eastern fly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,899 posts

Posted 11 March 2018 - 03:52 PM

Hi Kevin..google fish tales all twisted up..it,s a video that showed me how to do it..i made some changes in doing it but the video showed me what needed to be done..the video also shows how to make a loop for each end.

Ok I see now its a furled leader. I have made them before. 

Kevin

#8 ben bell

ben bell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 11 March 2018 - 04:01 PM

sorry Kevin..i should have mentioned that it is a furled leader..

#9 Bryon Anderson

Bryon Anderson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,792 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 09:54 AM

I use basically the same, just a straight leader. About 5 or 6' with a loop. I actually was thinking of having a mouse swap also. The big boys come up for them.

Kevin 

Kevin I love the idea of a mouse swap. I'll definitely join if you do that!

(Sorry jalberts1, didn't mean to hijack your thread--I just got excited about tying mice! :) )

"... trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience." -- John Voelker (aka Robert Traver), Testament of a Fisherman

#10 jalberts1

jalberts1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 10:05 AM

Not a problem, very interesting stuff.  I am moderately proficient with drys, wets, nymphs, etc. but like a babe in the woods with mousing.  I would be very interested in a mouse swap but am afraid whoever ended up with mine would be sorely disappointed.  I have never been very good with deer hair.  They are getting better; at least a few of them dont look like baby porcupines.  As to the original question dealing with leaders I am just going to use what I use on large streamers.  Thanks for input

#11 vicente

vicente

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,708 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 10:22 AM

You can always do the mouse with a foam top and deer hair belly basically a mouse gurgler, much easier tie and they fish well.

#12 vicrider

vicrider

Advanced Member

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,606 posts

Posted 15 March 2018 - 08:18 PM

jalberts, I sent these a few years ago and didn't get banned from future swaps even though MOST of the other entries were better. I was just getting into deer hair and decided it's too messy. The ones I did were relatively simple, though not that easy for a newcomer to spun hair to get right. Tail is rabbit zonker strips with hair scraped except for very tail. Bead chain eyes and don''t know about trout but some big old potbelly bass have liked them.

DSC01150_zpstmhp6zce.jpg

#13 mikechell

mikechell

Cold weather afficando- Give me Snow or give me death!

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,061 posts

Posted 15 March 2018 - 08:41 PM

laugh.png

Vic, except for that "Frito bandito" mustache ... those are pretty good mice.

Jalbert ... it's kind of the reason fro swaps.  It can give people a reason to tie something they aren't used to tying.

You get examples of others, so you can see how they do it.  Not all of the ones you receive will be better then yours, but there are usually a few experts in the swap, and you get perfect example to follow.

If you want it, the receivers of your flies can offer constructive criticism, too.

Barbed hooks rule!
My definition of work: Doing something in which effort exceeds gain.
Ex-Marine ... quondam fidelis

#14 jalberts1

jalberts1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 16 March 2018 - 02:05 PM

Look better than most of mine.  Lately I have been tying the Morrish Mouse, for me its easier than the traditional and according to reviews (if its on the internet it has to be true, right?) they work quite well. We shall see

#15 vicente

vicente

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,708 posts

Posted 16 March 2018 - 02:18 PM

That's the only mouse I've ever caught fish.