Fly Tying
tctrout

Stonfo Airone Travel Vise

In my newest video, I give a "sneak peek" of a the Stonfo Airone, a travel fly tying vise from the Italian company. This is a really neat vise that has some excellent jaws. I have yet to see all of the vises in the travel category, thus if you own one, feel free to post a picture of it, too.

Tim

Tim,

Couple of questions ?

What is the largest hook it can hold ? How is the vise stability with that light base ? Could one spin deer hair on this vise ? Thanks.

I believe Tim said a PLASTIC base?

Nice looking vise, I believe its down fall maybe that light weight plastic base.

I kind of like the looks and the design of that vice.

The plastic base shouldnt be an issue other than to me it would be cheesy and cheap feeling .

With the standard 3/8 stem you could put any base on it you wanted.

Personally myself I dont like any vice with a base, I like a C-clamp. Same story though you could go buy any after market C-clamp for it.

I also want to know if it will hold 1/0 - 4/0 sized hooks.

The base I use is made out of Corian. Not particularly heavy but covers a fair amount of surface area.

A base does not need to be heavy. Just large enough to provide stability.

Tim,

Couple of questions ?

What is the largest hook it can hold ? How is the vise stability with that light base ? Could one spin deer hair on this vise ? Thanks.

The largest I've held in it so far is a size 2, but I can see how large it goes this weekend. Spinning deer hair is something I have yet to try in it, and I would be hesitant because the base is lighter. I'll get back to you on this...

I kind of like the looks and the design of that vice.

The plastic base shouldnt be an issue other than to me it would be cheesy and cheap feeling .

With the standard 3/8 stem you could put any base on it you wanted.

Personally myself I dont like any vice with a base, I like a C-clamp. Same story though you could go buy any after market C-clamp for it.

I also want to know if it will hold 1/0 - 4/0 sized hooks.

Mike, the base isn't an issue to me, but I do know some the lean towards a more significant one. I used to prefer c-clamps, but now personally go with pedestal. A comment on the YouTube page related to adding a clamp, which will add another component to it. I love that the entire vise folds into the size of a large cell phone, but like everything in fly tying (and fly fishing), it's not for everyone. The Airone may not be my daily vise, but I'll tie on it more this weekend and see how large of a hook it holds.

Tim