Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Dragon Fly Wings

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Troutslayer101

Troutslayer101

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 07:44 AM

I hoping to tie up so Dragon flys for top water bass fishing.  Having a hard time finding what material to use for the wings.  Hoping it can be some what durable and take some hits from hopefully some larger bass.  Thanks

"I think I fish, in part, because it's an anti-social, bohemian business that, when gone about properly, puts you forever outside the mainstream culture without actually landing you in an institution."  John Gierach

#2 flytire

flytire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,992 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 07:48 AM

http://www.flytyingf...showtopic=10378

grizzly hackle

maxresdefault.jpg

Ignorance can be educated....

Crazy can be medicated....

But there's no cure for stupid

#3 mikechell

mikechell

Cold weather afficando- Give me Snow or give me death!

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,788 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 08:03 AM

Used dryer sheet.

Attached File  dryer sheet wings (2).JPG   174.44KB   2 downloads

Barbed hooks rule!
My definition of work: Doing something in which effort exceeds gain.
Ex-Marine ... quondam fidelis

#4 cphubert

cphubert

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 350 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 09:09 AM

Organza or 100% nylon ribbon, you can make a template out of sheet brass trim close then melt the edges with a lighter( this stops it from unweaving). comes in many colors takes permanent markers well and can be found in craft stores, best time to buy after the holidays when they go on sale.

#5 SILKHDH

SILKHDH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 689 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 01:02 PM

You need to be careful of that choice you make.  First, I'm talking about large dragonfly patterns I was making for bass. 3"-4" wing span sized dragon flies. I've gone through this Dragon fly design thing and my results are that making wings that are from , lets say thin packing foam sheets, looks great, looks close to real, right? Yea, but it also works like a parachute when trying to cast. I could NOT get a full cast without them dead falling right out of the air. It also can twist the fly during the cast. It sucked! A little Crystal flash or rubber leg material (in my opinion) made the better FUNCTIONING fly. Might not be the most realistic, but it functioned and casts well.  What good is a fly if you can't fish or cast it. Those realistic winged dragonflies I tied, gave to my friends wife that loves dragon flies for decoration. Seriously! They sucked!  I recommend you only tie one and try it before you commit to a pattern that LOOKS awesome. You might be making décor, not fishing flies. smile.png

#6 Troutslayer101

Troutslayer101

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 17 April 2018 - 06:46 AM

Flytire, how does hackle hold up?  I have seen it done with hackle but it makes it hard on me to use hackle when capes are so much money.  I was afraid that it would not hold up.  Thanks guys.  I am looking for something to fish so and not so much realistic

"I think I fish, in part, because it's an anti-social, bohemian business that, when gone about properly, puts you forever outside the mainstream culture without actually landing you in an institution."  John Gierach

#7 Crackaig

Crackaig

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,225 posts

Posted 17 April 2018 - 06:48 AM

Probably not the easiest thing to cast but...

https://www.facebook...28237573871999/

Cheers,

C.

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical
minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which
holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd
by the clean end"

#8 mikechell

mikechell

Cold weather afficando- Give me Snow or give me death!

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,788 posts

Posted 17 April 2018 - 07:18 AM

Hard to cast ... but perfect for Florida Bluegill !!!

Barbed hooks rule!
My definition of work: Doing something in which effort exceeds gain.
Ex-Marine ... quondam fidelis

#9 flytire

flytire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,992 posts

Posted 17 April 2018 - 07:42 AM

Flytire, how does hackle hold up?  I have seen it done with hackle but it makes it hard on me to use hackle when capes are so much money.  I was afraid that it would not hold up.  Thanks guys.  I am looking for something to fish so and not so much realistic

I don't know. I posted that photo as a suggestion

Ignorance can be educated....

Crazy can be medicated....

But there's no cure for stupid

#10 Swamp Fly

Swamp Fly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 17 April 2018 - 08:11 AM

White poly (polypropylene) yarn. It floats, folds a up a bit in "flight", and is tough as nails.  Don't just toss the fly into a bin and be done with it, give the stuff plenty of room in a fly box. Like most synthetics it will take a set that is tougher to pull out than with natural materials.