Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Hellgramites

Hellgramitesflytying

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 MYGUNTALKSLOUD

MYGUNTALKSLOUD

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 30 April 2018 - 02:05 AM

Curious to see some of the hellgramite patterns everyone is tying.Attached File  IMAG0298.jpg   103.17KB   0 downloads

#2 mikechell

mikechell

Cold weather afficando- Give me Snow or give me death!

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,777 posts

Posted 30 April 2018 - 05:35 AM

Welcome to the site.  I don't tie Helgramites.  They might be in my area, but I've never seen any.

Barbed hooks rule!
My definition of work: Doing something in which effort exceeds gain.
Ex-Marine ... quondam fidelis

#3 Rocco

Rocco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts

Posted 30 April 2018 - 05:55 AM

My version.

As far as know they are only found in moving water and then mainly in slower, warmer stretches. Locally they used to be expensive live bait options for smallies. They draw vicious strikes.

Rocco

Attached Files

#4 Swamp Fly

Swamp Fly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 30 April 2018 - 06:21 AM

Rocco,

O-rings?

#5 Stippled Popper

Stippled Popper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,168 posts

Posted 30 April 2018 - 06:44 AM

Rocco,

O-rings?

Probably!  It was what was used for this fly.

Attached File  MightyMiteHellgrammite.jpg   73.58KB   0 downloads

#6 fshng2

fshng2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 895 posts

Posted 30 April 2018 - 09:47 AM

Welcome to FTF.
Made from some stuff Rich Mc sent in a swap.
He said it was Wendy Eider Chunky Yarn.
Attached File  2017-10-07 11.22.24.jpg   69.4KB   0 downloads

I like the O ring idea guys, looks good and is durable.
Actual Eastern Hellgramite
Attached File  eastern_dobsonfly02.jpg   37.58KB   0 downloads

#7 Fisherboy0301

Fisherboy0301

17 going on 40

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,554 posts

Posted 30 April 2018 - 01:12 PM

Welcome to the site.  I don't tie Helgramites.  They might be in my area, but I've never seen any.

They are. Ive been bitten by them while seining eel grass in Lake George to catch grass shrimp for bait.
<p>"Yesterday is history, Tomorrow is a mystery, but Today is a gift, thats why they call it the present." - Anonymous"

Snakes are first cowards, then bluffers, and last of all warriors." - Clifford Pope

"To him, all good things -trout as well as eternal salvation- come by grace, and grace comes by art, and art does not come easy." - Norman Maclean  "A River Runs Through It"

Tenkara is only for little fish!                                                                     </p>

#8 Rocco

Rocco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts

Posted 30 April 2018 - 01:48 PM

Yep. O-rings. 

The real thing can be nasty. I use to roll rocks to grab them and not a few gave me a real nip.  The guys who gatner and sell them earn their money.

Rocco

#9 mikechell

mikechell

Cold weather afficando- Give me Snow or give me death!

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,777 posts

Posted 30 April 2018 - 04:15 PM

As I said, I don't actually tie Helgramites because I've never seen them.

I DO, however, tie Dragonfly Nymphs, which would probably do in a pinch.

Attached File  Richmond Flies 21.JPG   123.2KB   0 downloads

Attached File  Richmond Flies 28.JPG   149.36KB   0 downloads

Barbed hooks rule!
My definition of work: Doing something in which effort exceeds gain.
Ex-Marine ... quondam fidelis

#10 MYGUNTALKSLOUD

MYGUNTALKSLOUD

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 30 April 2018 - 04:27 PM

Hey thanks everybody as this was my first post. I appreciate the warm welcome. I just learned this pattern from a Reuben Martin video via youtube. I'd like to tie some even bigger maybe 7XL hooks. Helgies get quite the size and yes bass will not look past them thanks again all.

#11 redietz

redietz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 413 posts

Posted 01 May 2018 - 12:23 AM

Russ Blessing invented a fly to imitate a hellgramite.  He called it a "Woolly Bugger",  I wonder what ever happened to it?

Bob

#12 MYGUNTALKSLOUD

MYGUNTALKSLOUD

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 01 May 2018 - 12:26 AM

The bugger in every color is by far my go too all day I'm simply tying for enjoyment and hoping that it inspires more to get into tying flies and enjoying this sport.

#13 redietz

redietz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 413 posts

Posted 01 May 2018 - 12:48 PM

The bugger in every color is by far my go too all day I'm simply tying for enjoyment and hoping that it inspires more to get into tying flies and enjoying this sport.

And it's still an excellent hellgramite imitation. Why look elsewhere?

Bob

#14 Rocco

Rocco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts

Posted 01 May 2018 - 02:48 PM

One reason to look elsewhere is that everyone and his brother are tossing buggers. And any tyro can make them by the dozens.

Another is that, as fanatic tyers,  we have so damn much invested in tying materials we look for new ways to use them. 

And there is an extra satisfaction in experimenting and --sometimes-- getting it right.

By the way, Harry Murray also has a bugger-style hellgramite pattern using black dyed ostrich hurl bunches as the tail and black chennile with palmered saddle hackle as the forward section.  Some add short black rubber strands as pinchers.  It works on smallies and back in the day I even had a few steelhead hammer it.

Rocco

#15 MYGUNTALKSLOUD

MYGUNTALKSLOUD

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 01 May 2018 - 03:09 PM

Thanks Rocco much appreciated . I was actually out for a few hours this morning but the water is still pretty high and fast but the day was beautiful. Tight lines friend.