Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Tying round lead onto a hook

lead

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 RogerCh

RogerCh

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 12:17 AM

How would I secure a piece of round lead onto a hook?  Would I put down a layer of thread first?  (When I try to wrap it around a hook without first adding a base layer, the lead just spins around the hook.)

#2 Poopdeck

Poopdeck

You damn kids, get off my lawn!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,164 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 12:24 AM

Hold one end and wrap with the other end.

#3 tjm

tjm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 02:27 AM

I leave a bit extra at the start point and press that against the hook with the thumb, wind the lead with touching wraps towards the hook eye, then use a thumbnail to "cut" both  the starting tag and the excess off by pressing against the hook shank; after which I start the thread and cover the lead after the first layer of thread I often apply a drop or two of head cement then run another cover of thread.I used to pinch this with smooth pliers at this point to make a "flat" body profile for some nymphs, now I tie them all in the round, only because I'm lazy.

In essence what Poopdeck said.

But, I have also built the hook up with thread some before winding the lead wire, this makes each turn of wire a bit longer and ends up with a heavier fly using the same lead and same number of turns, i don't know how much heavier but it swims different in fast water or sinks a tad faster. Build up the thread and leave it near the bend then do as above except the thread is already in place.

#4 flytire

flytire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,636 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 04:27 AM

stick one end of the wire in the eye of the hook and wrap the wire. once you have enough, pick out the wire from the end with a bodkin and trim both ends.

or

electronis test clip is not really required

Someone stole my coffee cup. Now I have to go to the police station and look at mug shots.

I was about to tell a joke about time travelling, but you guy's didnt like it.

#5 Capt Bob LeMay

Capt Bob LeMay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,294 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 06:16 AM

Most wind lead wire around the hook shank - but being a contrary guy... I've always used short sections of lead laid against the hook shank then wrapped in place with thread (which allows a "keel" effect... and will even allow you to have a keel that inverts the hook so that it rides point up instead of down - particularly useful for bonefish bugs....).  Instead of counting the number of turns of wire I go by the number of 1/2" (or 1/4") sections of wire...

Since I'm a saltwater tyer my favorite lead wire is a bit bigger than what freshwater tyers use - typically I'm using .040 lead wire - and I far prefer square lead wire to the relatively flimsy round wire...  Finding square lead wire isn't easy but do-able (my last source was Cascade Crest (back when they were Rogue River Anglers - quite a few years ago....).  For those who can't find the square lead wire - talk to Pat Dunlop at Cascade Crest - if anyone knows where to find it - Pat will...

Tight lines Bob LeMay (954) 435-5666

#6 SilverCreek

SilverCreek

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,119 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 04:21 PM

One lead wrapping tip that has not been mentioned is to flatten the end of the lead before you begin to warp. So when you wrap the lead, a gentle ramp up to the lead wraps will form instead of a sudden jump in fly diameter.

Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

http://tinyurl.com/lgkbu7v