Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

RIP Norm Norlander

8 replies to this topic

#1 flytire

flytire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,717 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 07:18 AM

https://www.facebook...ngSystem/posts/

It is with a sad heart tonight I am informing you of the passing of Norm Norlander. Norm invented the Norvise Fly Tying System and Automatic Bobbin some 20+ years ago. During the time promoting the product he touched the lives of hundreds, probably thousands of fly tiers. Norm was as kind of a man as I ever knew always willing to talk and help someone with a problem or challenge. Norm passed quietly in his sleep Sunday night May 13th 2018 in his home in Kelso, Washington after a short battle with Cancer. The fly fishing and tying world will never be the same again. We have lost our friend, mentor, and all around great guy. Thank you norm for everything you have given to this industry, we will never forget you!

Someone stole my coffee cup. Now I have to go to the police station and look at mug shots.

I was about to tell a joke about time travelling, but you guy's didnt like it.

#2 Dave G.

Dave G.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,630 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 08:11 AM

Sad to hear, I liked Norm and his laid back but effective video presence.. I learned a lot from him.

John 7:38 ESV  is about "Rivers of Living Water"

#3 zip

zip

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,889 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 11:06 AM

He was a great man!He'll be missed.
"They say you forget your troubles on a trout stream, but that's not quite it. What happens is that you begin to see where your troubles fit into the grand scheme of things, and suddenly they're just not such a big deal anymore."
John Gierach
----------
Sgt.Steve Bell USMC/Ret
Once a Marine,Always a Marine-Semper Fidelis

#4 mikechell

mikechell

Cold weather afficando- Give me Snow or give me death!

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,409 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 11:20 AM

RIP

Barbed hooks rule!
My definition of work: Doing something in which effort exceeds gain.
Ex-Marine ... quondam fidelis

#5 rstaight

rstaight

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 651 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 12:51 PM

We have lost another innovative and wonderful person in the fly fishing/tying community.

Tight Lines Mr. Norlander

"Scholars have long known that fishing eventually turns men into philosophers.  Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to buy decent tackle on a philosopher's salary." - Patrick F. McManus

#6 Prybis

Prybis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 04:15 PM

RIP

Mike P.

#7 utyer

utyer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,156 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 10:20 PM

I am crushed.  I first met Norm back before 1993, at a sports and outdoor show in Salt Lake City.  .  He of course was tying on and demonstrating his Nor-vise.  I was hooked immediately, and knew I had to have one.  Norm had only the one he was using, but he said, I could buy that one after the show was over. I met up with Norm again as the show closed, and picked up my vise, and an Auto bobbin kit.  He gave me a nice discount on the "used" vise.  

Every interaction I have had since has been a pleasure,  He was a gentleman to the core, and it shows in all his work.  A sad loss for the fly tying community.  I still have my Nor-vise, and using it is always a constant reminder of the quality of the man behind it.  

"We have met the ememy, and he is us." Pogo by Walt Kelly

#8 cphubert

cphubert

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 18 May 2018 - 07:47 PM

Norm Norlander was a great businessman and gentleman. He stood behind his products without question, he told me to use his vise for 6 months and he would buy it back if I didn't like it. I still have it. My prayers and thoughts are with his family I was happy to see him finish his boat project and fish with his grandson. Rest in peace Norm you will be missed by many.

#9 Jedicazador

Jedicazador

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 25 May 2018 - 12:18 AM

How shocked I was to hear of Mr. Norlander passing. He was a good fella, met him through a few short emails he answers of mine. Even though I purchased his vice second hand he was happy to answer questions I had in a timely manner and with such great customer service! Where else would the company's namesake be so personable and caring? I'm honored to have his vise on my tying table
Prayers to his family

Reply to this topic