Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

renzetti o-ring and what it does

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 flytire

flytire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,983 posts

Posted 26 May 2018 - 06:40 PM

Ignorance can be educated....

Crazy can be medicated....

But there's no cure for stupid

#2 onebadmofo

onebadmofo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 26 May 2018 - 07:26 PM

Not trying to hijack the thread but you can also buy a container of O-rings at Harbor Freight for about 3 bucks. They are rubber but you get about50 O-rings and they will go a long way.

#3 flytire

flytire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,983 posts

Posted 26 May 2018 - 07:33 PM

thanks for another good source for o-rings

#4 SBPatt

SBPatt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 644 posts

Posted 27 May 2018 - 07:51 AM

After having one break I put 2 spares on the vise shaft, just in case.

Regards,
Scott
Canon Powershot SD750; Ott + 2 clamp-on lights

#5 flytire

flytire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,983 posts

Posted 27 May 2018 - 07:56 AM

great tip scott

#6 flytire

flytire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,983 posts

Posted 27 May 2018 - 10:21 AM

additional videos

#7 flytire

flytire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,983 posts

Posted 27 May 2018 - 10:23 AM

#8 JSzymczyk

JSzymczyk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,361 posts

Posted 27 May 2018 - 06:10 PM

"order a spare parts kit with o-ring, jaw spring, jaw adjusting screw and ball bearings - just in case"    

wow.... seems as if those are known high failure parts, they would fix the design or just include them when you buy the vise... if my vise had that many probable failure points, I think I'd be giving it away. 

the gales of November remembered...

#9 SBPatt

SBPatt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 644 posts

Posted 27 May 2018 - 07:54 PM

wow.... seems as if those are known high failure parts, they would fix the design or just include them when you buy the vise... if my vise had that many probable failure points, I think I'd be giving it away.

If you have one and you're looking to give it away, I'd be glad to take it off your hands. I've had mine for over 20 years and for the price of the one O-ring failure, I've been able to tie on a vise that's met every need I've ever had.

Regards,
Scott
Canon Powershot SD750; Ott + 2 clamp-on lights

#10 SilverCreek

SilverCreek

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,187 posts

Posted 27 May 2018 - 07:57 PM

I don't think Renzettis are repair prone. I have 2 Renzettis, a home vise and a travel vise for 35 years and both are going strong. No parts needed. The O-ring is designed to be replaced so that is not a problem for me. I bought a lifetime supply for about $2.50 at home depot.

Renzetti invented the first true rotary vise and they have been in business since the early 1970's. So there are over 40 years worth of Renzettis out there. That is a lot of vises that may eventually need a spare part. My opinion is that the spare parts kit is a way for Renzetti to avoid having Renzetti owners writing for spare parts. I think it is a way to avoid having to charging for the time and inconvenience to Renzetti and a convenience for owners. If you had to get a screw from Renzetti, they would have to charge you $6 for service and postage even if the screw was only $1.

How about other owners? Ever needed repairs?

Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

http://tinyurl.com/lgkbu7v

#11 flytire

flytire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,983 posts

Posted 27 May 2018 - 08:59 PM

owned one for 30+ years and never a problem. o-ring never broke

#12 Northeast Brookie

Northeast Brookie

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 27 May 2018 - 10:32 PM

Just another suggestion...
I had two O rings become compromised... Switched to normal sized rubber bands, and they worked for a while (had to double/triple them up, but after a while, they broke down), and then when my daughter got braces, a lightbulb went off... The small dental rubber bands work fantastic! Lifetime supply in one bag - and a multiple of colors as well. I recommend using two or three of these at a time to bulk up the look, and to add strength. Theyre incredibly durable. This last bunch has been on for over a year and a half, and going strong...

#13 flytire

flytire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,983 posts

Posted 27 May 2018 - 10:48 PM

maybe loom bands would work. no kids in my house to steal a few

item_XL_7069739_5030031.jpg

#14 phg

phg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 28 May 2018 - 07:25 AM

Andy Renzetti was at the International Rod Building Expo a couple of years ago.  He was actually giving out spare "O" rings (I guess Lilly wasn't looking....)  Anyway, I got one, even though I didn't need it at the time.

I've been tying on a Presentation 4000 for nearly 20 years, and picked up a Traveler 8 or 10 years ago for traveling.  The "O" ring is the only thing that has ever given me a problem.  They will deteriorate, with time, and at some point will need to be replaced. but once every 15 years, or so, is acceptable.

Love my Renzetti 4000!

#15 Poopdeck

Poopdeck

You damn kids, get off my lawn!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,294 posts

Posted 28 May 2018 - 08:55 AM

Are we talking O rings? The little round things that cost ten cents and can be found at any large or small hardware store, automotive store, Walmart, target, etc... on the planet. Who needs a source for O rings? Who cares if one breaks or wears out on a vise? By the way my griffin vise has an O ring. It's been there for 20 years or so and it has yet to break. My vises O ring has never been a topic of discussion or thought. Has it been raining the world over for the the last three weeks like it has where I live? Videos on O rings, bobbin cradles and screws ????????????