Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
stabgnid

J&P Coats 6 Strand Floss ??

I scored a box full of this floss for a $1.00 . I have never heard or worked with it it says color fast on it and I do believe its some type of cotton . The question is can I use this on flies ???

Steve-stabgnid

I use it for many woven flies. On smaller size hooks I only use 2 or 3 strands.

One size 22 hooks I have used one strand of each color.

Rick

I think cotton floss is cotton floss, there was thread recently about DMC cotton, lots of folks liked it. DMC I was familiar with and all fly tying floss I have bought was rayon/acetate/artificial silk.

If I was not going to use the acetate, I'd just use tying thread, but if you like cotton, Coats is an old name in cotton threads and floss.

Mama used it 60 years ago that I can remember, I thought Coats set the standards for cotton.

Color conversion chart ; . https://www.cyberstitchers.com/stitching_tools/floss_conversion_charts/dmc_to_jpcoats

Description: J & P Coats Six-Strand Embroidery Floss is a divisible embroidery floss that is made of mercerized, long staple cotton. This washable, dry cleanable and colorfast embroidery floss is excellent for cross stitch, embroidery, crewel, needlepoint, plastic canvas, and other craft uses such as friendship bracelets, tassels and dolls. 100% Mercerized Pima Cotton. 8 3/4 yards.

Of course you can use if for fly tying. It's an old staple. It doesn't have the sheen that rayon or silk has when wet, but there are a good variety of colors, and many a fishing fly has used cotton floss for the body material. The biggest downside of cotton is durability. When it gets, and stays, wet, it does deteriorate, and frequent exposure to sun will cause it to fade. For display flies, this could be a concern, but for fishing flies, it's not really a problem.