Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Playing with foam

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 denduke

denduke

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 923 posts

Posted 18 August 2018 - 06:21 PM

Gotta get away from "The Monthly Bench". I think if I see another parachute hackle/quill body I'm gonna scream. Those guys are good so I leave them alone.
Anyway this stuff is fun and not trying to run anybody down.
IMG_4552.jpg
Giant Jurassic yellow jackets!
IMG_4553.jpg
IMG_4554.png
If you wanta sing the blues, you gotta pay your dues, and you know it don't come easy...RS
Due to severe budget cuts and economic down turn the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off...

#2 mikechell

mikechell

Cold weather afficando- Give me Snow or give me death!

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,061 posts

Posted 18 August 2018 - 07:12 PM

Air spinner !!!  But if the line doesn't twist too bad, you should get plenty of hits on those.

Barbed hooks rule!
My definition of work: Doing something in which effort exceeds gain.
Ex-Marine ... quondam fidelis

#3 Philly

Philly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,396 posts

Posted 18 August 2018 - 09:06 PM

Nice.  I agree with Mike that it's going to spin when you cast it.   What size hook did you use?  

"All things considered, I'd rather be in Philadelphia."

#4 denduke

denduke

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 923 posts

Posted 18 August 2018 - 09:23 PM

4 or 6 ? Let em spin and unwind in the water for added action....The 357cal bodies were quite large so the whole thing is huge but "playing with foam." The others that I used the packing film for wings got mangled quickly. More of a novelty. Need to get the 223 cartiges and make more realistic versions. Fibers or hair would be better for wings. Got a rise outa my FB family with these....they got a kick outa these too. Prolly never try em but bud said he found them in the stomachs of redfish too.
IMG_4549.jpg
Not sure who found the baby nutria rat in ones stomach but that's another story.....BabyNutterRatFly!
If you wanta sing the blues, you gotta pay your dues, and you know it don't come easy...RS
Due to severe budget cuts and economic down turn the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off...

#5 denduke

denduke

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 923 posts

Posted 20 August 2018 - 06:03 PM

Down sized more natural
IMG_4584.jpg

#6 ksevigny

ksevigny

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 21 August 2018 - 01:24 PM

I like them! Nice job.

#7 fshng2

fshng2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 904 posts

Posted 22 August 2018 - 06:09 PM

Nice ones Denduke... those should get bit.
I'm liking the flounder fry too, very realistic.

#8 fshng2

fshng2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 904 posts

Posted 22 August 2018 - 06:21 PM

Denduke try repurposing a used dryer sheet for the wings. Plenty strong.

#9 denduke

denduke

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 923 posts

Posted 22 August 2018 - 10:00 PM

Thanks for the tip. fshg2
Maybe you can suggest better than thin leather backed with felt for crabs
IMG_4321.jpg

IMG_4323.jpg