Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Grizzly Bear Hide

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Fatman

Fatman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,588 posts

Posted 19 April 2019 - 02:06 PM

Talk about getting more than you bargained for!!!  Was looking around the web for trim pieces of grizzly bear and found a place that does rugging of hides. The lady said she had a hide that a guy wanted redone but the hide was falling apart so he said keep it!! but I didn't want that much and she said well if you pay shipping I'll send you some in an envelope!! WELL!!! I received a box and she sent me the whole thing!!  I put 4 shades in gallon bags and the rest I had to use my Super Ziplock storage bags!!   Looking through finding the best pieces of hide to try and cut some zonker strips!!!  Really nice stuff!!  

Attached Thumbnails

• 4 different shades of grizzly.JPG
  • black and white from grizzly.JPG
  • Brown shades of grizzly.JPG

Just Fishing! All life is that to some extent. If we are not fishing for one thing it is another. But angling! That's just a bit different. In it we find peace and contentment and much with which to occupy our minds. May the balance of our fishing days be blessed with congenial comrades and "tight lines." Ray Bergman

#2 fshng2

fshng2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 19 April 2019 - 02:50 PM

Nice find, is the length and texture similar to black bear?

#3 Mark Knapp

Mark Knapp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 19 April 2019 - 03:47 PM

Hmm, i've skinned lots of grizzlies, never seen one that had bright white with the black and brown.

#4 mikechell

mikechell

Cold weather afficando- Give me Snow or give me death!

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,928 posts

Posted 19 April 2019 - 04:03 PM

If I'm not mistaken, it's been a while since your last post, Fatman.  At least, I don't remember seeing your screen name pop up recently.

If I'm right ... Welcome back !!

Nice find on the fur(s) !!!

Barbed hooks rule!
My definition of work: Doing something in which effort exceeds gain.
Ex-Marine ... quondam fidelis

#5 Fatman

Fatman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,588 posts

Posted 20 April 2019 - 10:14 PM

This is the lady I got it from

Rugs by Nancy  http://www.rugsbynancy.com/index.html

Thanks Mikechell

Just Fishing! All life is that to some extent. If we are not fishing for one thing it is another. But angling! That's just a bit different. In it we find peace and contentment and much with which to occupy our minds. May the balance of our fishing days be blessed with congenial comrades and "tight lines." Ray Bergman