Fly Tying
Gilly

Clan Stewart Traditional Scottish Loch fly

Gilly,

After seeing these I've been searching a bit to see about other patterns and instructions. This may be a dumb question but since I can't find pictures of them being tied I need to ask it. Is there just one wing feather or is it two? Hard to tell from the pictures.

The rest looks pretty straight forward. I haven't fished for trout in years but I can't think of a reason why they wouldn't make some pretty crappie flies. I'm going to have to tie a few.

Tim

TimJ, all the wings are in sets of 2, the tails are as well. I tie them in , both wings at the same time. If I take a photo from the front, they start at the shank , tight, and gradually turn outward.

If you look in my pattern gallery at the bottom of the post, check out the Watsons fancy or montreal wet, you can just barely see the second wing tip.

Beautiful flies. It is an interesting idea to tie a fly in the colors of a Tartan...I wonder which clan tartan colors would work best????

QUOTE (rougetrout @ May 18 2005, 07:45 PM)
Beautiful flies. It is an interesting idea to tie a fly in the colors of a Tartan...I wonder which clan tartan colors would work best????

I got a whole page of tartan flies off of the net from Scotland, it has mainly prominant family tartans used. Thanks for looking.