|Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material|
|Fly Pattern Database Home · Search · Upload A Pattern · My Bookmarks · Browse by Material · Browse by Members · Browse by Tags · Members I Follow|
View Original Forum Topic
Current Tags for This Pattern
/ Black / Brown / floss / hopper / Pheasant / Tinsel / Yellow /
tied by luvinbluegills
Fly Type: Spey,
Target Species: not available Freshwater Bass, General Salmon, Striped Bass, Trout,
Recommended Region: Northeast US,
Hook: size 3 Jackson Spey
Tag and Rib: Holographic Gold tinsel (lg)
Tail: Amhearst Pheasant neck feathers
Body: Orange Floss
Hackle: Light Brown
Wing: Mallard dyed Wood Duck over Mallard dyed Yellow
Head: Black 6/0 pre-waxed thread
Tying Instructions: 1. Hook in vise
2. Tie in tinsel and form tag
3. tie in black thread to hold tinsel just ahead of tag
4. Tie in Floss and hackle (by tip)
4a.Tie in two opposing Amhearst neck feathers, cupped sides facing each other so the color is to the ouside, just above the tag.
5. Move Black thread to the head, tie off and cut
6. Wrap floss forward to head, back to tag, and forward to head again, to form thick body.
7. form one half hitch at the head to hold floss in place
8. Wrap floss forward to head, forming rib. Tie in with 4 or 5 wraps of floss.
9. Wrap hackle to head, between ribbing, and secure with 5 or 6 wraps of floss.
10. Half hitch floss twice, and tie on black thread again to cover floss head that is developing.
11. Cut off floss
12. Tie in section of yellow mallard on top like a shell back, or down-wings. Should reach just shy of the tag.
13. Tie in natural-dyed Wood Duck section of Mallard over the yellow piece. Should be slightly longer than the Yellow piece.
14. Tie in Starling back feathers as eyes on either side.
15. Finish head!
Presentation Tips: Dead drift near banks, or anywhere fish may see a Grasshopper. Don't be afraid to try it in other places too.
Other Flies Tied by luvinbluegills
Members That Bookmarked This Fly Also Bookmarked...
|4 FTF Members Bookmarked This Pattern|