|Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material|
Featured Hatches Article & Videos
EP Baitfish - Capt. Joe Benton
Ray Bergman Collection - 191) Kineo
Catapla Worm- Fred Hannie
Ray Bergman Collection - 128) Golden Duke
The Ray Bergman Collection - 33) Blockhouse
Artist- Brad McMinn
|Fly Pattern Database Home · Search · Upload A Pattern · My Bookmarks · Browse by Material · Browse by Members · Browse by Tags · Members I Follow|
View Original Forum Topic
Current Tags for This Pattern
/ Black / floss / hopper / Pheasant / Tinsel / Yellow /
tied by luvinbluegills
Fly Type: Spey,
Target Species: not available Freshwater Bass, Pike, General Salmon, Striped Bass, Trout,
Recommended Region: Northeast US,
Hook: size 3 Jackson Spey
tag and rib: Holographic Gold tinsel (lg)
tail: 2 Amhearst Pheasant neck feathers
Body: Orange Floss
Scutes: Golden Pheasant crest
Legs: Amhearst Pheasant lower back feather (Sparrow feather)
wing: Mallard dyed Wood Duck color over Mallard dyed Yellow.
Head: Black 6/0 pre-waxed thread
Tying Instructions: 1. Tie in tinsel with Black thread and build tag
2. tie in floss next to tag
3. place two Am. Pheas neck feathers, cupped side facing each other, just above the tag.
4. Wrap black thread forward, tie off and cut.
5. Wrap floss forward about 1/4 of the body length
6. Tie in Gold. Pheas. crest on both sides, with the floss, black tips point back, reaching the tag.
7. Move forward half the distance you moved in step 5, tie in two more crest pieces, one on each side.
8. Wrap floss to head.
9. Wrap tinsel forward to head, being careful not to pin down the crest tips on the sides. Secure with floss.
10. Tie in Amhearst back feather by it tip. Be careful because it breaks easily. Start it just behind the head and wrap to head. You only get about 3 turns.
11. Secure with floss.
12. Tie off and cut floss.
13. Tie in Black thread over floss head.
14. Trim the top of the fly (The back feather) close to the body.
15. Tie in Yellow Mallard section as a flatwing, reaching just shy of the tag.
16. Tie in Mallard dyed Wood Duck over the Yellow, reaching past the Yellow, like an overwing.
17. Tie in Starling back feathers as eyes.
!8. Finish the head!
Presentation Tips: Dead drift or use small strips. The Amhearst back feather used for the leg has tremendous action on it's own, and too much imparted action could ruin it.
Other Flies Tied by luvinbluegills
Members That Bookmarked This Fly Also Bookmarked...
|2 FTF Members Bookmarked This Pattern|