|Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material|
Featured Hatches Article & Videos
Somerset Fly Fishing Show 2012
Hybrid Sculpin- by Nick Pionessa
Artriculated Baitfish- Kevin Hospodar
Zaggin Zook- by Curtis Fry
The Wedding Veil - by GSF Fly Tying
Montana Stories: Jenny Grossenbacher
|Fly Pattern Database Home · Search · Upload A Pattern · My Bookmarks · Browse by Material · Browse by Members · Browse by Tags · Members I Follow|
View Original Forum Topic
Current Tags for This Pattern
/ Minnow / olive /
tied by luvinbluegills
Fly Type: Streamers,
Recommended Region: Northeast US,
Imitation: Anchovies, Herring, Sardines/Pilchards, Silversides,
Hook: size 6 Stinger
Silver, Olive and Pearl Sili Skin
Adhesive Holo eyes
Tying Instructions: 1. Put hook in Vise. (Very important!)
2. Cut a piece of Silver skin in a rectangular shape, and place evenly over hook lengthwise. Fold over.
3. Trim edges.
4. Cut rectangular piece of Olive skin, roughly 3/4 the width of the silver piece and slightly longer, and fold this over the minnow, forming the dorsal coloration.
5. Add eyes. No adhesive is necessary as the stick on eyes will be grabbed tightly by the adhesive of the skin.
6. Add a rectangular piece of Pearl Skin, about a half inch longer than the rest, fold over and pinch tight down the body of the fly.
(8. Add gills if you want them with a red marker.)
If you want to add a tail of flashabou, poly or some other material, I would say to add them by holding it against the silver when you attach the Olive. Then hold it in proper position when you add the Pearl over skin, and the adhesive in the Skin will hold it in place.
[I cannot stress enough that this is not the original pattern by the originator of the streamer material. This is just an easy way I found to make a long-bodied type minnow that imitates most long minnows and can be tied with whatever color is appropriate for the baitfish in your area. The Olive is a common color, and would also make a very good Shad, but I have to figure out how to do the proper body shape. The original recipie and technique DIFFER from mine.]
Presentation Tips: Dead drift in current with random twitches.
Other Flies Tied by luvinbluegills
Members That Bookmarked This Fly Also Bookmarked...
|11 FTF Members Bookmarked This Pattern|