|Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material|
|Fly Pattern Database Home · Search · Upload A Pattern · My Bookmarks · Browse by Material · Browse by Members · Browse by Tags · Members I Follow|
View Original Forum Topic
Current Tags for This Pattern
/ bass fly / Black / crawdad / Crawfish / crayfish / Dix River / Elkhorn Creek / Foam / Grizzly / largemouth / Mallard Flank / Marker / red eye bass / shoal bass / smallmouth / zonker /
tied by wiggleminnow
Fly Type: Streamers,
Target Species: Freshwater Bass,
Recommended Region: Southeast US,
Hook: TMC 8089 Sz 2
Thread: Danville Flat Wax
Antenna: Round Rubber
Claws: Mallard Flank
Legs:Saltwater Grizzly Hackle
Tail: Zonker Strip "Rabbit"
Body:Wapsi Foam Cylinder 3/8 dia.
Eyes: Black Pin Heads
Weight: Tungsten Barbell Eyes
Tying Instructions: 1. Cover hook shank with thread, tie in barbell eyes
2. wrap thread back even with the barb on the hook, turn hook over, tie in antenna.
3. Soften up cylinder by squeezing it, tie in cylinder.
4. trim up excess foam, cover with thread.
5.You will have a build up of thread, tie in hackle in front of it, wrap hackle towards hook eye about 6 or 7 wraps.
6. take mallard flank, strip off the junk at the bottom, and cut out about a 1/2 inch of the tip section, ending up with a v shape.
7.tie in the stem of the mallard flank right behind the barbell eyes, wrap back towards the hook bend stopping at the hackle.
8.pull the cylinder over wrap around the cylider with steady pulls on the thread "make a bunch of wraps"
9. then wrap under the cylinder "two wraps" then wrap around the cylinder again. do this one more time.
10. take rabbit strip seperate a little bit of it and tie in right above barbell eyes, then wrap around eyes then around the rabbit strip agiain then to the front of the eyes and whip finish
11. Take your pin heads cut them with wire cutters and stick them in at the front of the fly then pull them back out, add some zap a gap to them then stick them back in.
12. take markers and color them the way you want to.
13. Wapsi cylinder colors, tan, orange, and brown.
Presentation Tips: Use a no slip loop knot, fish on floating or sink tip line. Also makes a good dead drift craw also. Strip and hold on.
Other Flies Tied by wiggleminnow
Members That Bookmarked This Fly Also Bookmarked...
|76 FTF Members Bookmarked This Pattern|
Fly Tyer Guy
Bent At The Reel Seat