|Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material|
|Fly Pattern Database Home · Search · Upload A Pattern · My Bookmarks · Browse by Material · Browse by Members · Browse by Tags · Members I Follow|
View Original Forum Topic
Current Tags for This Pattern
/ Black / Dubbing / Epoxy / Foam / Marker / spider /
tied by BruceC
Fly Type: Terrestrials & Midges,
Target Species: Trout,
Recommended Region: Northeast US,
2mm Black craft foam
2xl Dry Fly Hook (5212)
20lb and 15lb leader material
Black Superfine Dubbing
5 minute epoxy or Loon Knot Sense
Black head cement
Black water proof marker.
Tying Instructions: 1. Lay down a base of black tying thread.
2. Tie the foam in just behind the eye and bind it tightly to the hook shank... all the way to the bend.
3. Pull the foam 1/3 the distance back toward the eye of the hook and secure it. It should be tied in a rather high "hump" on the top of the hook. Take loose wraps over the top of the hump but do not compress the foam.
4. Mix a small batch of 5 minute epoxy and coat the foam hump to create the body of the spider. Rotate the fly until the epoxy sets to avoid drooping.
5. Apply the legs (20lb mono that has been colored with a black marker) to the bottom of the hook. Figure 8 each of 4 legs.
6. Dub in between each of the legs to cover the tie in point and make a smooth thorax.
7. Heat a small crochet hook over a candle only making one or 2 passes of the the flame. Too hot will melt the legs. We only want to put a bend almost straight up from the body. Do this for all the legs.
8. Using a cautery tool, weld a small piece of 15lb mono to the point on the tied in leg that will form the knee joint.
9. Repeat step 8 for all legs.
10. Use black head cement or black Prolac to coat the epoxy body.
11. Find an overhanging bush and drop the spider with a plop...
Other Flies Tied by BruceC
Members That Bookmarked This Fly Also Bookmarked...
|11 FTF Members Bookmarked This Pattern|