|Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material|
|Fly Pattern Database Home · Search · Upload A Pattern · My Bookmarks · Browse by Material · Browse by Members · Browse by Tags · Members I Follow|
View Original Forum Topic
Current Tags for This Pattern
/ Dumbell / Minnow / rabbit strip /
Hook-up rabbit minnow
tied by cbinwindsor
Fly Type: Inverted Hook, Streamers,
Target Species: Steelhead, Freshwater Bass, Trout,
Recommended Region: Central Canada,
Imitation: General Baitfish,
- Straight cut rabbit strip. Dark for the back and light for the belly.
- Size 4 Mustad 34007.
- 20lb Toothy Critter leader.
- Dumbell Eyes
Tying Instructions: 1. Create a dubbing loop and add about 2" of dark rabbit strip without the hide. Wind foreword to the hook and whip finish.
2. Add head cement to both the front and the rear of the fly, remove the fly from the vice and clip the hook bend off. This will be the tail.
3. Put the other hook in and tie in the eyes and wire. The eyes are tied on the top of the hook for hook up.
4. Add the tail and tie tie down the wire. (I wrap the wire around the eyes and back to ensure it's secure).
5. Tie in the end of a dark rabbit strip (with the hide) the same colour as the tail at the hook bend. The fly will be hook up so tie it on the hook side. The fur will be brought foreward much like you would with thin skin on a nymph so be sure the fur is oriented correctly.
6. Create a dubbing loop and wrap the lighter rabbit without the hide up to the eyes and tie down.
7. Bring the darker hide tied in, in step 5 foreword to the head. Make two moderately tight wraps and pull the fur tight to the back. Secure, clip the remaining strip and whip finish.
Presentation Tips: The fly rides hook up for work on the bottom. Conversely you could tie in the eyes on the underside of the hook for a hook down orentation for stripping the fly near the surface.
Other Flies Tied by cbinwindsor
Members That Bookmarked This Fly Also Bookmarked...
|30 FTF Members Bookmarked This Pattern|