Jump to content
Fly Tying

Piscineidiot

core_group_3
  • Content Count

    22
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

0 Neutral

About Piscineidiot

  • Rank
    Beginner

Previous Fields

  • Favorite Species
    permit
  • Security
    22
  1. Thanks Utyer, I don't have actual burners, so was resorting to using a pair of strategically placed tweezers. Will keep the shape thing in mind. Thanks! Owen
  2. They are intended for fishing, though I haven't fished them yet. I tend to fish bulky/air-resistant flies habitually considering where I live and get to fish for, so I honestly didn't think they'd be too bad compared to what I normally throw. Was the concern the wings spinning/twisting the leader? Is there a reason why they'd be any worse than other mayfly patterns people tie with organza type wings? I'm more of a salty flyfisher, so the whole trout thing is new to me. I would certainly appreciate some pointers.
  3. Just a little mayfly pattern I invented the other day. These are on No.14's and 12's. Wings are organza. The abdomen is made of stripped peacock hurl coated in clear cure goo with an underbody of foam to help it all float. The legs and tails are heat kinked paintbrush bristles. The red foam back was left that way to make it more visible. Hope you like them!
  4. Thanks Murray and Mike, I guess I'll just have to go fishing and post up some photos...
  5. Thanks guys. Mikechell, the flies are all foam and herl, so in theory, they should float all day. Smudge a bit of floatant into them and they might even hover!
  6. My realistic 'fly flies', tied with the intention of being fished, so I compromised a little on the 'realism', and focused a little more on buoyancy, durability and movement. These ones are tied on a No.14. There are some No.12 Klinkhammers behind for scale. The bodies are peacock herl over a foam underbody. The legs are black stretch cord. The wings are cut from plastic grocery bags. The eyes are red foam trimmed to shape. Hope you like them! Owen
  7. Hey guys, sorry for the belated reply. I'll try and get around to posting an SBS for you. RE: the tail stiffness - it is stiff, it's tied on a bent piece of stainless steel wire to prevent fouling. Because it's quite thick, it doesn't quite manage a full rotation to the front, and with a quick little strip, the tail lays back like it should without a worry. You could certainly incorporate a stinger hook, I just haven't so there's less to foul things and because the fish we have up here are pretty aggressive when it comes to eating things like these - I'd suspect they'd shoot for the head on something like a mantis to stop themselves getting a mouthful of claw... Glad you guys like it! Owen
  8. Hey guys, Just invented this little fellow a while back. It's a forward swimming, articulated mantis shrimp pattern. The hookless articulation idea came about after I saw some trout flies with a similar sort of idea. I'd been wrestling with how I could build a mantis shrimp with the correct body proportions (little head, long body) for ages, and this was a real light bulb moment for me. Enjoy! Owen In case you were wondering how the tail stays on... (The lump on the shank is formed using CCG and a few wraps of thread).
  9. Yep, colour it before coating with goo - that way the fragile acrylic paint gets sealed in and protected.
  10. Hey guys, Yeah, the theory behind knotting EP fibre and only coating the ends was for just that - movement. I also feel it gives the legs body while offering little resistance while sinking like suede chenille legs tend to. That way, the fly will sink faster with less weight and still sink hook point up. How long is a tricky question... The actual tying itself takes no more than 20 minutes. The prep is the big time consumer - It simply depends on how good you are at knotting and coating etc. I took a coupla hours at it myself, but I'm sure there are people out there who could knock one out in 45 minutes or so. I do intend to fish it - just gotta pick my battles though. I'm thinking clean sandflats... Owen
  11. Thanks Mike Chell, The legs are made by knotting EP fibre and coating with Clear Cure Goo and marking with permanent markers. I'm pretty happy with the way they turned out, being slightly translucent like the real thing. utyer, Thanks buddy, that's the look I was going for
  12. Thanks guys, Will try and invent a little more often in the future. Glad you all liked it - here's hoping the fish do too... Owen
  13. Piscineidiot

    The OCDC

    I introduce to you: The Obsessive Compulsive Detail Crab Just a crab pattern I made up a week or so ago - my last for the year, and I think, one to be duplicated in the new one... Hope you like it. Owen
  14. Thanks for the compliments guys. Don't know if I'm going to put it in the database just yet - takes time to load everything up etc. It's actually a pretty simple tie - Just a little unorthodox. The claws are made by knotting unique hair and coating them with Clear Cure Goo and cutting them into shape. The back is clear vinyl available at any hardware store coloured with permanent markers and with notches cut into it for segementation (and to make strapping it down easier). The underbody is dubbing of your choice. Weight-wise, I'd suggest using the heaviest dumbell eyes you're comfortable with and making sure you strap them on underneath the hook point - this should make sure it sinks the right way up even with a minimum of weight.
×
×
  • Create New...