Fly Tying
vicrider

Looking forward to MO trout opener

And right there is one of many reasons I had no interest in trout fishing when I lived in Missouri. That was all I'd ever seen of it, and I wanted no part of it. 

In fairness, I must also say that I was born and raised in Missouri and that parts of it are very beautiful, and that there is plenty of fine fishing there for trout, bass, and many other species that don't involve the lunacy of opening day at Bennett Springs. Honestly, I think that scene is repeated year after year now mostly as a publicity stunt, or simply as a cherished folk tradition. I would also point out that versions of the "Bennett Springs Effect" happen somewhere in many other states -- as any Michigander who's ever witnessed the foolishness on display during spring steelhead at Tippy Dam or Allegan Dam in Michigan can attest. 

Start locating your gear, friends--it's almost time! :)

In OK the only water we've got to stock are our potholes. No natural lakes and streams turn into ATV race tracks by mid summer if not sooner.

polhole fishing.jpeg

We are fortunate in Tennessee to fish all year with some regulations in place as delayed harvest. With all the streams and tailwaters, I have never seen it shoulder to shoulder like the photos. I lived in Queens,  NY for three years. Opening day was a mass migration like lemmings, heading toward any place that had trout.

1 hour ago, vicrider said:

In OK the only water we've got to stock are our potholes.

How embarrassing for you, fishing that pothole with a spin rod - that water definitely calls for tenkara gear.    

4 hours ago, vicrider said:

In OK the only water we've got to stock are our potholes.

You're on the wrong side of the state.  Medicine park, blue River, and Lower Illinois are great this time of year.

Actually Noahguide there is a lot of fishing available for trout in OK in winter and Lower Illinois year around. Lots of reservoirs I don't really consider lakes like MN lakes but they are stocked and fun to fish. I just get a kick out of that picture of an old man like me hoping to see his bobber go down. The east side of the state is far better water and fishing wise than the western side where I live but we still have plenty to do here and sand bass and crappie are just on the verge of taking off for us.

23 hours ago, niveker said:

I just don't get it, if that was the only fishing available, I wouldn't do it.  

Same here - I thought the Y pool was crowded!   I have to admit I do have fun on occasion catching stocked trout.  Photos like that make me really thankful that I get more satisfaction from chasing the smaller wild trout.  Fortunately most of those guys don't want to bother with them.   

There isn't a fish in the world that is worth that.  I don't like people enough to put up with that.

Went up into the mountains to meet with a guy about material for a magazine article. The river was packed, traffic was horrible. The odd thing as I was leaving and going back to civilization, I saw a red flag up about three cars ahead. Thought it might be a mud buggy. It was a horse and buggy with a Mennonite family out for a drive! Mom, dad, three kids in the back and one in Mom's arms. There is a Old Order Mennonite community on Polk County, TN. You can see them along the road, going to the store. They leave solid exhaust emissions. 🐎