Fly Tying
DFoster

@#$% Price of Gas!

Well here in Massachusetts we have just exceeded $4 a gallon which makes them just about double what they were a year ago.  It was $135.00  to fill my friend's Ram 1500.   I know a lot of you guys drive a ways to reach your favorite water so I'm curious if gas prices will curtail anyone's fishing this season?   I'm sure at the very least fuel cost will force me to fish closer to home.  

DFoster,

Filled up last night for $4.069.  Went past same station mins ago they are now $4.299.  On top of that, my wife showed me the electric bill last week, there was a 2x increase in both my house and my shop.  With out a question this will cut back on some destination fishing this year.  It will absolutely cut back on the duck hunting too.

Ok NOW I feel like an old man because all I want to add is “when I started working my first job was at a gas station, I was pumping gas at $29 cents/gal.  I can still remember my Dad saying he would sell the truck befor he payed .50 cents a gallon.  There was a great deal of expletives that went into that statement too.

Michael R. Earle

”Esse Quam Videri”

49 minutes ago, essequamvideri said:

DFoster,

Filled up last night for $4.069.  Went past same station mins ago they are now $4.299.  On top of that, my wife showed me the electric bill last week, there was a 2x increase in both my house and my shop.  With out a question this will cut back on some destination fishing this year.  It will absolutely cut back on the duck hunting too.

Ok NOW I feel like an old man because all I want to add is “when I started working my first job was at a gas station, I was pumping gas at $29 cents/gal.  I can still remember my Dad saying he would sell the truck befor he payed .50 cents a gallon.  There was a great deal of expletives that went into that statement too.

Michael R. Earle

”Esse Quam Videri”

I remember 25 cent/gallon gas and you got S&H Green Stamps.

Cost me about $4 to fill up my VW.

20 minutes ago, SilverCreek said:

I remember 19 cents a gallon and Dad bought a new Ford convertible for $2600. At the same time, the new house cost $11K.  Might be a bit political but news said WH is resisting banning Russian oil.

It will slow me down, or I'll have to ask my better half to use her car or ride a bike. My truck gets 11 to12 mpg her car about 23 to 25 and contrary to popular belief I may have forgotten how to ride a bike. I remember .29 cents late 60's 1970-71 or so before my start with uncle sam at the tender age of 17.

Wife's pick em up gets about 13 in town. We'll be driving my little three banger which gets about 30. On the bright side, Food City gives a 30 cent discount on a 20 gallon limit, when you accumulate qualifying points. The little car has a 13 gallon tank so it really doesn't pay. Truck is 26 gallon tank.

Trivia: Recall seeing a news poster in a bank many years ago. A pig farmer in England was collecting methane gas from the manure and running his car on the methane.

30 minutes ago, skeet3t said:

Wife's pick em up gets about 13 in town. We'll be driving my little three banger which gets about 30. On the bright side, Food City gives a 30 cent discount on a 20 gallon limit, when you accumulate qualifying points. The little car has a 13 gallon tank so it really doesn't pay. Truck is 26 gallon tank.

Trivia: Recall seeing a news poster in a bank many years ago. A pig farmer in England was collecting methane gas from the manure and running his car on the methane.

Large dairy farms in Wisconsin have manure digesters that produce methane that is used to heat and run equipement.

https://water.unl.edu/article/animal-manure-management/methane-anaerobic-digesters

1 hour ago, SilverCreek said:

Recall those 20 cents a gallon gas wars back in 1971. Can't comprehend the Mengele "Angel of Death" med prescription health care plan where a months worth of diabetic pills was less than $16, but now over $160 & insurance won't pay for them !!!!!

I'm fortunate to have several places I can put in within 20 minutes of my house.  But the high gas prices might put me out of work.  When it cost me all of a weeks pay just to get to and from ... what would be the point?

It's $4.46 a gal. right now up here. And we drill it and make it in state. Check with me in a week. Scary.

Yep, gas prices have been rising for a while now so it’s nothing new.  What’s new is how high it will go. It wont curtail my fishing until they start rationing it. 

Will have a big impact on my fishing this year. My favorite river is the Au Sable which is about 200 miles North of here. I can fish locally but it's no where near to the same as being on the Au Sable. With the price of gas for a 400 mile round trip, motel room, food and everything else that goes into a couple day trip North, it would easily cost twice what it usually does. 🤬🤬

Deleted ... for the reason listed below.   Unfortunately, too many people believe "truth" is like "beauty" ... in the eye of the beholder.

Sorry for the slight trespass into political territory, but the truth is the truth

Edited by mikechell
To prevent arguments.

I fish the same general area as Steve, I’m about 50 miles closer though. In 2013 I traded in my last pickup and got the cheapest equinox on the dealers lot. It gets around fine, it’s 4 banger and if I set the cruise between 55 to 60 I can get well over 30 mpg. I’m retired and did the side job thing for 11 years, but I’m done with it now. Yes the price of gas will have a effect, I will be picking my days very carefully.

Mike.

I filled the 1 year old Forester on Wednesday for $364.9 and the 7 year old Highlander yesterday for $375.9. That's $.11 in 2 days...and I get a $.10 discount by using my BJ's credit card.

My fishing days are over due to health issues so the price of gas has no effect there...but I'd sure like to be able to fish even if it was fewer days on the water due to the price of gas. Go when you can and make the best of it.