Fly Tying
DFoster

@#$% Price of Gas!

4 hours ago, skeet3t said:

I have a couple of places that are within 8 miles or less. Not trout waters but will give an opportunity to wet a line. Just need for TVA to raise lake levels and rain to stop so a creek will stabilize and warm up. One is a creek that goes through town and a place for carp and catfish. There is a trout stream that is 17 miles away.

8 is better than 80.... I had to do some digging but I was able to locate a "cold water fisheries" map that my state put on line.  By checking the stream road crossing on google maps I was able to identify public access and parking at a couple of streams.  I haven't fished them yet but they are clear and cold so I'm hoping they have wild trout.   Maybe your state has done the same?  I've got plenty of rivers within 5 miles but most are warm water. 

I'm going to try and make the best of it this season.  Drive to my usual trout streams when the finances allow and fish close to home when they don't.  

On 3/5/2022 at 6:49 PM, DFoster said:

We may not be able to reach our favorite water for a while but I truly hope we can all find a few hours of calm this season out there somewhere casting a fly.  

I think that's the only sanity-preserving way to look at it, DFoster--we'll all still fish, just maybe not quite as far from home as we might under more favorable circumstances. 

I am very fortunate that my recent move has put me within 10 minutes of several excellent lakes, and under an hour away from a whole bunch of sections of river and little coldwater creeks, so I'll have new water to explore regardless, with minimal travel required. My Subaru Outback gets around 30mpg, so occasional longer jaunts will be doable with a little re-prioritization of discretionary spending. I have to say, I'm feeling REALLY glad right about now that I went for the Subaru back in early 2020, instead of the pickup truck I thought I wanted. :)

Small SUVs vs a truck are not a bad option for most outdoor activities, my wife and I both drive Cherokees.  As a former truck owner though no SUV can replace a pick up if you need one and a lot of people do.  

I am happy that you will have access to fishing without it hurting to bad at least for now. I’m fortunate to have a stream less than 700’ behind my home. It’s too warm in the summer for trout but it is stocked with Browns in the spring and has Fall Fish, Blue Gil’s and LM Bass year round. I can walk to it if things get really bad. I took this video of “my” stream a few minutes ago. 

I'll survive. Fish close to home and save some gas for a bit farther from home. Another trout stream is about 15 miles with wild trout.

When I go, it will be for the entire day.

1 hour ago, DFoster said:

I took this video of “my” stream a few minutes ago. 

Oh yeah, that's beautiful... I took this pic a few minutes ago at the same corner as yesterday's pic. 

IMG_20220309_160711079.thumb.jpg.063300be2f228e4af78b3381ced07bcc.jpg

Btw, no streams in LA. They used to have them all over the place, fishable too, until Mulholland & co turned every stream and river into a cemented drainage system locals inexplicably call "the wash." Supposedly the river that ran past what is now downtown LA was like heaven on earth, and inspired the "city of angels" name.

13 hours ago, chugbug27 said:

Oh yeah, that's beautiful... I took this pic a few minutes ago at the same corner as yesterday's pic. 

IMG_20220309_160711079.thumb.jpg.063300be2f228e4af78b3381ced07bcc.jpg

Btw, no streams in LA. They used to have them all over the place, fishable too, until Mulholland & co turned every stream and river into a cemented drainage system locals inexplicably call "the wash." Supposedly the river that ran past what is now downtown LA was like heaven on earth, and inspired the "city of angels" name.

11 hours ago, Poopdeck said:

I just added a 4 cylinder Subaru to the fleet. Glad I did. 

Looking at Chug's post I'm starting to think bicycles.....gulp.

17 hours ago, DFoster said:

As a former truck owner though no SUV can replace a pick up if you need one and a lot of people do.  

No argument from me on that -- I know a lot of people need them for work, hauling or towing heavy loads, etc., and there's no substitute in those situations. I had lusted over pickups for years just because of the look and "aura" of the thing. I also like to camp in my vehicle, and pickups are ideal for that. I had no real need for one, though, which is why I went for the Outback.

When retirement comes (fingers crossed!) and we're ready to buy our travel trailer -- well I'll be happy to have that need for a stout truck then! With any luck, by then they'll make an electric truck that can haul a big trailer. Not holding my breath, but anything's possible....

RE: bicycle. Hard to figure here in the Deep South with heat and humidity. Get to work and smell like billy goat plus the time to get to work, if you live within 30 minutes. Our brilliant city put a bike lane on the second busiest street in town. In two years, I have seen two people use it. Had one guy riding on the road to our house...barely a two lane. No, there ain't a road or street in the city or county where I would ride a bike.

Had a friend point out that many components for EVs come from China. Hmmm.

52 minutes ago, skeet3t said:

RE: bicycle. Hard to figure here in the Deep South with heat and humidity. Get to work and smell like billy goat plus the time to get to work, if you live within 30 minutes. Our brilliant city put a bike lane on the second busiest street in town. In two years, I have seen two people use it. Had one guy riding on the road to our house...barely a two lane. No, there ain't a road or street in the city or county where I would ride a bike.

Had a friend point out that many components for EVs come from China. Hmmm.

Your friend is correct and China's lack of environmental ethics is giving them a massive production advantage when it comes to selling the metals needed to produce EV batteries.  I would point out that even at the current cost of fuel you can buy a lot of gas for the five grand or more a replacement EV battery you'll need to buy every 5 to 8 years.  EV tech isn't there yet IMO.

15 hours ago, DFoster said:

I would point out that even at the current cost of fuel you can buy a lot of gas for the five grand or more a replacement EV battery you'll need to buy every 5 to 8 years.  EV tech isn't there yet IMO.

I agree re: EV tech needing to be more affordable to be viable for the majority of people--all the more reason our government should be doubling down on the development of domestically-produced EV tech (not holding my breath on that one either...). On a related note, I saw the first ad for the all-electric Chevy Silverado EV last night -- according the the Google machine, starting price is around $40K. If true, that surprises me--I would have guessed much higher. 

Both of my sons have EV's. My youngest and his wife both drive Teslas. My oldest drives a Nissan Leaf EV.

I'm not sure either of them really saves much money. My youngest son's wife Tesla battery just died and it has been in the shop for weeks waiting for a new battery to be installed. Fortunately it failed under warranty, otherwise replacement would have been well over $20,000.

Tesla is notorious for poor service since they can only be serviced at Tesla centers and when they do need service, parts are in short supply.

My youngest son and his wife live in California so with current gas prices at about $6/gal, they are saving money. But at the pre covid gas prices, I am not sure if EVs are the solution to saving transportation cost.

Once upon a time, I stopped at a Toyota dealer. The little Yaris was $17K and the hybrid Prius was $26K. That's saving money? Nissan advertises 300 miles on a charge. What if I'm going 600 miles which has been normal for the last three vacations? A local lady drove to Nashville, TN her husband told her to take the hybrid. She took the EV, spent juice to charge the battery and spent two hours for the recharge.

A friend mentioned that many components for EVs are from......China who is in bed with the Russkis. I would like to buy a horse but there is a problem with exhaust emissions.

3 hours ago, SilverCreek said:

Both of my sons have EV's. My youngest and his wife both drive Teslas. My oldest drives a Nissan Leaf EV.

I'm not sure either of them really saves much money. My youngest son's wife Tesla battery just died and it has been in the shop for weeks waiting for a new battery to be installed. Fortunately it failed under warranty, otherwise replacement would have been well over $20,000.

Tesla is notorious for poor service since they can only be serviced at Tesla centers and when they do need service, parts are in short supply.

My youngest son and his wife live in California so with current gas prices at about $6/gal, they are saving money. But at the pre covid gas prices, I am not sure if EVs are the solution to saving transportation cost.

I'd heard some high prices for EV replacement batteries but 20 Grand really is the next level for what is in essence a wearable part of the vehicle.  I wonder how many Tesla owners are aware of that?   

2 hours ago, DFoster said:

I'd heard some high prices for EV replacement batteries but 20 Grand really is the next level for what is in essence a wearable part of the vehicle.  I wonder how many Tesla owners are aware of that?   

Most. That’s why they dump them off for new ones often. Battery tech will continue to get better and the prices will come down on them. Just not right at the moment. Speaking of Tesla, is there an uglier 100  thousand dollar car out there than a Tesla? If I’m paying that I need a little more styling and less Whoopi seat.