Jump to content
Fly Tying
DFoster

@#$% Price of Gas!

Recommended Posts

Average price in Sacramento is now $5.00 a gallon.  I am curtailing my driving period, those long trips to the Sierra will have to wait.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gas here at a local C-store was at $3.87 a gallon. Wally World is a bit less. News this morning said oil could reach $200 a barrel. Do the math with the present price of a barrel and a gallon of gas. I'm fortunate to have a fishing spot 11 miles from home. Just need TVA to fill the lake in May. Just got back from a trip in the mountains on a top trout stream. 62 miles one way. Baby car gets about 30+ mpg. Smokies are a two hour drive and close to 85 miles one way. Scratch that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 You guys in the US are still doing better than us in Canada. Last weekend i went and filled up the truck and two 100 gallon tidy tanks and a dz jerry cans, price at the pump was 1.60$ a liter or around 6.10$ a gallon, came up to 1800$. Drove by the pump today and saw its up to 1.90$ a liter or 7.20$ a gallon and no end in sight as per what the government is saying. Good thing my truck is diesel, i have two 200 gal tanks for heating the house and shop, if need be ill be dipping in those tanks.

Ill be spending as much time on the water as the years before, day trips will turn in to 2 or 3 day trips this year.

Scary thing is how much its going to cost us for all the rest of the shit we buy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I figured a lot of us could use a chance to vent a little and I’m certainly concerned.   2 years of Covid followed by gas prices on their way to tripling in a 24 month period along with record inflation makes 2020 to 22 a pretty damn tuff stretch to overcome both financially and mentally.  Plus the situation in Ukraine is little to familiar sounding to anyone who has read their history. 
 

Fishing for me has always been a wonderful escape from life’s realities. We may not be able to reach our favorite water for a while but I truly hope we can all find a few hours of calm this season out there somewhere casting a fly.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Heard from a friend in GA. A local gas station went up 50 cents in a week. Said the gas prices are eating up his SS COLA. He and another guy come up and fish with me. Might only be able to see them on ZOOM or SKYPE.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/4/2022 at 7:52 PM, Mark Knapp said:

 And we drill it and make it in state. 

The problem is that the producers sell to highest bidder.  If they can make more by selling overseas, they will, until local refiners are forced to pay the same price. 

Shortages elsewhere in the world drive up prices here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, redietz said:

The problem is that the producers sell to highest bidder.  If they can make more by selling overseas, they will, until local refiners are forced to pay the same price. 

Shortages elsewhere in the world drive up prices here.

I get that, but you'd think there'd be some savings cuzz it doesn't have to be transported very far. Most of the time our gas is a buck higher than the national average.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/5/2022 at 10:36 AM, SalarMan said:

I filled the 1 year old Forester on Wednesday for $364.9 and the 7 year old Highlander yesterday for $375.9. That's $.11 in 2 days...and I get a $.10 discount by using my BJ's credit card.

My fishing days are over due to health issues so the price of gas has no effect there...but I'd sure like to be able to fish even if it was fewer days on the water due to the price of gas. Go when you can and make the best of it.

Brent Crude oil is a fungible resource, which means that each barrel of oil regardless of where it comes from is interchangeable. It is similar to agricultural products like corn or wheat.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fungibility

1136993968_ScreenShot2022-03-08at2_20_17PM.thumb.png.9bb9f653ce066636f58236717312c845.png

Prices are set on the commodities market and whether a country is an importer or exporter of oil, in a free market the price rises and falls with worldwide demand.

https://tradingeconomics.com/commodity/brent-crude-oil

The only variable in pricing would be the transportation cost and what the seller takes as a profit margin.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, chugbug27 said:

Visiting with my father in Los Angeles....

IMG_20220308_162150126.thumb.jpg.9150faeccd17b6f9dca04b9d2d914141.jpg

Another good reason not to live in LA. 😁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/5/2022 at 7:05 PM, skeet3t said:

Heard from a friend in GA. A local gas station went up 50 cents in a week. Said the gas prices are eating up his SS COLA.

I have VERY little savings. My wife gets S.S. I get S.S., pension from MN State job, a small annuity from old job pension buyout. All these together kept us quite comfortable for many years now and we got our COLA on S.S. It's gone up in exhaust and heating increase and electric increase and Medicare increase and all of a sudden I'm looking at why some worry on a "fixed" income. We bought a like new Suburu a few years ago and that gets about 35mpg highway. My truck gets about 13 or 14 unless you keep it under 60. I am probably looking at canceling my plans for a White River trip to AR for a week this summer or fall. 

When people talk about getting a new and more efficient car for their gas burning SUV or truck you have to keep in mind the down payment and monthly costs weighed against what you would actually save in gas over the term of the loan versus your paid for gas burner and it seldom pays to trade just for fuel costs. Figure closely before you do this. For me I am going to figure out how to haul my walker and a couple of rods on my Honda Scooter and use that to get to local lakes for short trips. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, vicrider said:

I have VERY little savings. My wife gets S.S. I get S.S., pension from MN State job, a small annuity from old job pension buyout. All these together kept us quite comfortable for many years now and we got our COLA on S.S. It's gone up in exhaust and heating increase and electric increase and Medicare increase and all of a sudden I'm looking at why some worry on a "fixed" income. We bought a like new Suburu a few years ago and that gets about 35mpg highway. My truck gets about 13 or 14 unless you keep it under 60. I am probably looking at canceling my plans for a White River trip to AR for a week this summer or fall. 

When people talk about getting a new and more efficient car for their gas burning SUV or truck you have to keep in mind the down payment and monthly costs weighed against what you would actually save in gas over the term of the loan versus your paid for gas burner and it seldom pays to trade just for fuel costs. Figure closely before you do this. For me I am going to figure out how to haul my walker and a couple of rods on my Honda Scooter and use that to get to local lakes for short trips. 

I wish you well. This too shall pass, till then, I'll work more and fish less, or do without some other things.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It seems that the solution is to buy a $60K EV. I'm of the opinion that fuel prices will hurt the economy- higher prices due to transportation costs (read that as diesel fuel), tourism which is an important part of some economies, sales of new vehicles, high prices demanded for used vhicles. I can read my credit card statements to compare prices up to two years ago...not good, IMHO.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Mark Knapp said:

work more and fish less, or do without some other things.

For my own mental well being fishing less isn't an option.   So for the time being I'll need to be satisfied with the fishing that I have nearby.  About the only positive is the cost of fuel has motivated me to find more fishing close to home.  The trout rivers I typically fish are a 30 - 60 minute ride but recently I've found a few promising spots within a 10-15 minute drive.    Finding local water is option to consider for some of us.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a couple of places that are within 8 miles or less. Not trout waters but will give an opportunity to wet a line. Just need for TVA to raise lake levels and rain to stop so a creek will stabilize and warm up. One is a creek that goes through town and a place for carp and catfish. There is a trout stream that is 17 miles away.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...