Fly Tying

In a taped interview, Vince Marinaro mentioned that he adapted the Tomah Joe wet fly into an Atlantic Salmon pattern.  Does anyone know what his adaptation was?

12 hours ago, gadabout said:

In a taped interview, Vince Marinaro mentioned that he adapted the Tomah Joe wet fly into an Atlantic Salmon pattern.  Does anyone know what his adaptation was?

I could be wrong, but to the best of my memory from conversations with Vince, the only thing he did was use a standard salmon hook instead of your basic down eye wet fly hook. I do not recall any mention of any other changes to the pattern.

it wasnt that hard

AVvXsEjIY1JMEwhxsH3XqLxbbvkOSy_oRfqCMYnf7Byg8nAOdR0bsSqb8OAb8JiWyNXLqNRBbdlg6f-l4Je2ikN8w-M1KVynjMKE_RW9wXg-ENMse8mfLQbuac-a0mAKonjRhO9gdE_Dgc8x76rqksa6_5uyCdJgoV3ImTelZCjrty_XyLpfWZzyr1wZiMcM=w640-h392

Classic Wet Fly Conversion to an Atlantic Salmon Fly

Tomah Joe

Hook - Gamakatsu T10-6H or equivalent
Thread - Black
Tail - Golden pheasant crescent
Butt - Peacock herl
Body - Flat gold tinsel
Throat - Red over yellow hackle fibers
Wing - Barred wood duck

AVvXsEjL35WGV4HElhE2CIeWggEZ-XUkY51ZFvZOsVllU0mTTB12tu1enoWJ0_BgYRvpSgJMQx3K5m2wA5NwCDOgPVF4o4Is0H1VTv_AlCkhWfYvM1MEDElIAKWec5JBkEUhRbqd2fKfnQd-zXdP2qWbH16eVtiOpqMKt3h1-DTbLkCrj7gFtnw8XIivFf8s=w640-h418
Classic Wet Fly

Tomah Joe

Tail - Yellow
Butt - Peacock herl
Body - Gold tinsel
Hackle - Mixed scarlet and yellow
Wing - Barred wood duck or Mandarin
Forgotten Flies - Schmookler & Sils

"Tomah-Jo - Old Flies - Fly Angler's OnLine week 169 " (flyanglersonline.com)

I’ll have to look for the interview, but if i remember correctly, it was more than just a hook change. 

I'm going back to conversations from the 1970's...maybe the very early 1980's. So who knows?????

Well I finally was able to dig out the interview.  Sounds like he added a topping (presumably golden pheasant crest), and cheeks of blue chatterer with jungle cock.  Also, he changed the body to yellow seal’s fur with silver ribbing.

10 hours ago, gadabout said:

Well I finally was able to dig out the interview.  Sounds like he added a topping (presumably golden pheasant crest), and cheeks of blue chatterer with jungle cock.  Also, he changed the body to yellow seal’s fur with silver ribbing.

The colors may be basically the same, but Vince's version sure ain't no Tomah Joe. But like so many salmon flies they change and evolve over the years.

23 hours ago, flytire said:

now you have the recipe its time to tie one and post it

One thing I forgot to mention is that Vince used a Golden Pheasant breast feather (red) for the tail.   I have some on order.  When I get it,  I will give it a shot.