Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
flymanaj

Turning a foam popper head (video)

Turning a foam popper head on a dremel.

Edited by flymanaj
Need a new link

1 hour ago, mikechell said:

I can't see "QuickTime" .MOV files any more.  

Here ya go mike.

2 minutes ago, mikechell said:

Thank you.

No problem. I didn't know it wasn't working. I'm 41 and just got my first smart phone. Just learning how to use it and feeling old.😁😁

Creative I guess but a lot simpler and less messy to just buy them pre-formed.   That must create a huge dust mess.

19 minutes ago, dave said:

Creative I guess but a lot simpler and less messy to just buy them pre-formed.   That must create a huge dust mess.

It's really not that messy. By making them myself I can make any size and style that I want. It would cost a small fortune to keep all of those on hand if I bought them. Plus I make some that are rather large that ma be hard to find. Plus I enjoy the process.

DSC00415_640x480.JPG

When you say craft foam what are you referring to? I think of 8.5 by 11” sheets of soft flexible foam. Yours seems to be harder. Also, while I’m asking, how are you securing the foam on the dremel? 

2 hours ago, Poopdeck said:

When you say craft foam what are you referring to? I think of 8.5 by 11” sheets of soft flexible foam. Yours seems to be harder. Also, while I’m asking, how are you securing the foam on the dremel? 

I use craft foam marshmallows and craft foam sheets. I secure the foam to dremel by running a nail through the foam and put the nail in the dremel. I used the sheets on these.

DSC00914.JPG

11696477_10204816023385829_8262733420593488816_o.jpg

2 hours ago, Poopdeck said:

These are painted "foamies"

DSC01316_kindlephoto-33161677.jpg

DSC01380.JPG

I hope you were wearing a mask when you were doing that.  Very nice poppers.  That method falls into the same reason I don't do deer hair poppers anymore, messy and I'm OCD when it comes to shaping.  I've used the craft store foam "marshmallows" but mainly for "Bob's Bangers"  There always seemed to be a inconsistency on the density of the foam on the ones I picked up at the craft stores.  I have hand shaped some from 1" foam cylinders, but it was easier just to buy the pre-shaped ones.  I used to be able to find them from panfish size up to salt water popper size, but with the advent of the "double barrel" popper they're hard to find in fly shops and catalogs.  The only place I can find them these days is in the fly-tying section of Barlow's or Jann's Netcraft.  I still have a few unused bodies but most of my poppers these days are made out of craft foam sheets.  Ever try to make a Hula Popper?